Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roseraie de l'Hay or Hansa?

Posted by shmooey 7B Seattle (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 3, 11 at 18:21

This rugosa was smelling up the whole corner- and i wanted to know if anyone could ID which type it was. The color was extremely hard to photograph correctly- It is a super saturated, and a rich, dark, cool magenta. Definitely has a purple cast to it.

It obviously set hips last year, because the old shrivled ones are still hanging on the bush!
If anyone thinks they know if this is potentially a Hansa or a RdlH, thanks in advance!

IMG_0840

IMG_0865

IMG_0837

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roseraie de l'Hay or Hansa?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 0:47

Don't remember how to tell those two apart, or if those are the only possibilities. I do know 'Hansa' has been much more prevalent on the market here.

And that Seattle is USDA 8.

o

Actually my zip code is a zone 7b. I feel like there is a color distinction between the two, but having never seen them side by side, and not being able to capture the color well- seems to make this a challenge. I have also heard that RdlH is not nearly as common in the states though, so i am leaning in the favor of hansa.

o

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 4, 11 at 21:20

It so lovely and HUGE!

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 12:03

Zip code zone finder(s) I have used put me wrongly in USDA 7 also. USDA 7 is average lows between 0 and 10F. The all-time record low for the Montlake weather station is 10F, for the Sea-Tac airport 0F. This past winter there was a bunch of browning of long-established specimens belonging to certain alliances at the Rhododendron Species Botanical Garden - because it got down to 10F there, and it rarely does that.

Failing access to correctly identified live material to compare the shrub in question with you'll just have to look at rose books and rose web sites to see if you can find clear markers for one variety or the other indicated.

o

looks like de l'hay. what size/shape are the hips?
mine are elongated ovals under 1/2 inch. i always thought hansa's looked like cherry tomatoes. also what about the scent?
my money is on de l'hay
diggerb

o

Hi, this is an obvious Hansa!
Roseraie has an open centre with yellow stigma/style/anther complex etc,
where the Hansa has petals all intertwined with the central
stigma/anther complex. Also, the Hansa has the droopy habit, with the flowers being too heavy for the stems, whereas Roseraie has stiffer stems that do not bend over, like in your picture.

o

Thank you overdrive! Excellent description and observation. I really appreciate it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here