Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

What Kind of Rose is This? (Pics)

gardenbug
13 years ago

I just inherited my neighbors rosebush? which has been terribly neglected. I'd like to take care of it but first I need to know if it is a climber, shrub, hybrid tea or what?

The name of the rose would be 'icing on the cake'

Mostly, I just need to know what I have and some tips on how to take care of it. It looks kind of scraggly.

I've taken a couple of pics so you can see it. It has red roses growing in the centre and huge pink blooms but not many of them. Thank you.

{{gwi:1225521}}

{{gwi:1225524}}

{{gwi:1225527}}

Comments (8)

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

'Dr. Huey'. Used by growers as a rootstock.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks bboy. Should I be removing the red roses or just leave them. Is it a hybrid tea?

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do I have a choice on which rose to keep? The pink or the red? Should I cut it back?

• hartwood
    13 years ago

From the look of your photos, especially the last one, it seems as if the original pink rose is being overtaken by rootstock suckers. All of those longer canes look like Dr. Huey to me. (Dr Huey is a once-blooming climbing rose that blooms on canes produced the previous year, so first year canes get very long and they don't terminate with a flower bud.) It may be too late, since the rootstock suckers have such a good head start, but there's no harm in trying to reverse Dr. Huey's onslaught.

Follow each cane to its base to see where it originates on the plant. If it is below the bud union (the swollen, knobby area where the pink rose canes come from) tear the cane off completely. If you cut them, it leaves behind tissue that will produce more new rootstock canes, and you don't want that. You can cut the rootstock suckers down a bit to make it easier to see the base of the plant, but don't rely on cutting to solve the problem.

I'm sorry that I can't help with the ID of your pink rose.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hartwood - thank you.

Okay, so you're saying get rid of dr. huey and keep the pink rose. So, does this mean that the pink rose was grafted onto the dr. huey rose?

What kind of rose would this be? A climber, hybrid tea?

Thank you.

• hartwood
    13 years ago

Exactly!

Can't tell you what type of rose this is based on the info here. Once you get the good Dr. out of the picture and the rose has a chance to grow some more, you can post some photos of flowers, leaves, buds, etc., and maybe someone here will recognize it.

Connie

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Connie. I'll work on getting rid of Dr. Huey.

• petaloid
    13 years ago

The pink hybrid tea rose may be Bewitched, a popular variety introduced in 1967 and still widely grown. I'll put a link to a description, and you can click on the Photos tab for more pictures:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bewitched

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES