Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rosyjennifer

Yellow rose that changes to orange then deep pink

rosyjennifer
18 years ago

Hi. My rose was labeled Sunsprite, but all pictures of Sunsprite show a yellow rose with no other colors. My rose opens yellow, then quickly "tans" in the sun to orange then a deep reddish pink.

It blooms in clusters and singly.

There is a strong tea fragrance.

The foliage is healthy, shiny and dark green.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Jennifer

ps. You don't need to sign in, just click the slide.

Here is a link that might be useful: click the slide, you don't need to sign in

Comments (19)

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

So sorry for what appears to be a double post. I think my mystery rose is AngelSmell's mystery rose; the renamed "Surprise" rose. But most renamed roses have a real name somewhere, right?

Any guesses?

Thanks!

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, JohnReb. Yes, the amount of sun the blooms get does make a big difference in how the rose looks. I bought the rose on an impulse buy because it was so beautiful BUT had I seen a sun tanned bloom first I think I would have passed! : )

• brenhelms
    18 years ago

This is my Arizona-the first picture is of a bloom which occurred when this rose was located in part shade-I think it definitely has more pink undertones. The second picture is the same rose bush, but this bloom occurred in full sun-definitely more orangey-but I like it much better this way. Same yard, same bush-but different amounts of sun exposure definitely made for a different rose.

{{gwi:1225599}}

{{gwi:1225600}}

• pocajun
    18 years ago

Either Judy Garland or Rio Samba, Judy has a strong fragrance so it fits better. look on helpmefind.com

Patrick

• Portiemom
    18 years ago

JohnReb, you sure give us a lot of useful information. Thanks so
    much!

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

You're welcome, Portiemom. : )

Thank you for letting me know I've been helpful. I'm trying to "give something back" in gratitude for the rose-education I have received over the years here on GardenWeb. In 2000, I started out as a totally clueless newbie with twelve UN-labeled WalMArt roses. Today there are exactly 200 roses in my yard.

I want to mention some additional gratitude I feel:
    I am a computer-phobic ol' hippie flower-child. As such, I (kinda obstinately) lack the computer-competence neccessary to post "multiple photos" in a new thread, or to post even a single photo "as a Reply" into an existing thread. Therefore, I in turn am quite grateful for people like Brenhelms, Rosetom, Joyce - and several others - who post pics which SHOW what I'm trying to describe in my long-winded posts.

"A (good) picture is worth a thousand words."

Most sincere regards,
    JohnReb

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, Johnreb, I appreciate your replies, too. : ) My DH is an ol' hippy and he can't stand computers either. : )

Thanks all for the info! I've been following the other thread on the renamed "Surprise" rose. I'm going to have to wait for another bloom to do a petal count because both Rio Samba and Judy Garland could be my rose but their petal counts differ.

brenhelms, My rose doesn't look like Arizona - your Arizona looks much nicer. : )

I have to admit, I do not like this rose... I think it doesn't deserve to be shovel pruned, but I am looking for someone to adopt it. The flower in the bud and just as it opens is a lovely peach edged yellow, but then everything quickly starts to go wrong. In my climate the flowers change to a bright coral then they wilt or collapse almost immediately. The petals don't fall from the bush (which is not the end of the world)but they remain and look horrible and of something I don't want to describe here.

I've thought that I could cut all the buds early and bring them indoors, but this bush is front and center in my row of roses and I want pretty roses on the bush.

Thanks again for all your help.

• georgiagirl_in_fl
    18 years ago

Hey Rosyjennifer, do these roses open out wide and have a brown center? Do they fade to a pale coral color and look like an old mop? If so, check out Pinata.

Here is a link that might be useful: pinata

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

georgiagirl - dirty mop - ha ha! Your description is kinder than what I was thinking. The blooms go from lovely to grotesque right before your eyes.

Pinata looks the closest yet, very close. Since I'll be giving it away, I'll need to know if it is a climber or not. I'll do a petal count when it blooms again.

Thanks for the link.
    jennifer

• georgiagirl_in_fl
    18 years ago

Rosyjennifer, if you find a home for yours, maybe they would like a second??? It is a climber down here, but a real slow grower. I am the same as you, if I had seen how this looked after a couple of days, this one would still be at the nursery.

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Kind of ironic that the cheapo rename they gave this rose is "Surprise". As in, "Surprise, it's ugly!" : )

• angelsmell
    18 years ago

My Surprise rose is absolutely beautiful!
    I love it ! I have 2 ARizona's and they are the sickliest things and they are just not that nice.
    I will take a Surprise rose any day over Arizona!
    My Surprise rose

• rosyjennifer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Angelsmell,
    That rose is lovely! I must move to CA!! : )

In Maryland's humidity the flowers instantly turn a hideous pepto bismol pink and then get crispy in the sun. : (

• brenhelms
    18 years ago

Sounds like Pinata to me-that's what immediately came to mind on reading your post. The link below contains some pictures of my pinata, showing bloom development/color changes as it ages. I happen to like Pinata a good deal, even though it is a slow grower, but I knew what I was buying when I purchased it-I'm sure it was quite a 'surprise' when yours started to bloom!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web Rose Gallery

• rosedreams
    18 years ago

The pic of Surprise above doesn't match Pinata, more petals and different bloom form. Angelsmell, yours looks a lot like Sheila's Perfume to me. Does yours have a fragrance?

I probably missed another post so forgive me if I am saying what you already know.

• Brian_Symes
    18 years ago

Angel Smell Rose looks like
    Love and Peace this was brought out in 2002 by Lim & Twomely
    Baby!

• Marcy72
    18 years ago

I love my pinata- if y'all decide to shovelprune, let me know; I'd be more than happy to send you postage!

~Marcy :)

• HU-831840859
    2 years ago

This is exactly like my rose bush that was labeled as Angel Face. But I know the name: it is Campfire. I love it although it is not fragrant at all.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!