Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
silly_me

Chuckles or Pink Knockout maybe?

silly_me
18 years ago

i'm in love, can anyone tell me what this is?

it's growing in front of an office, so i can't just ask the homeowner.

Comments (13)

• silly_me
    Original Author
    18 years ago

just looked at more pictures of pink knockout -looks like it has more petals than this one.

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

My guess is the floribunda Nearly Wild. The Chuckles I have seen were large bushes than that, the flowers were larger and more of an electric pink.

Here is a link that may be useful: Photos of Nearly Wild at helpmefind

• silly_me
    Original Author
    18 years ago

alicia,

thanks for your input! "nearly wild" looks to be a match.

i'm thinking about pulling out the boxwoods in front of my (old) house and replacing them with these roses.

• rozaholik
    18 years ago

Be careful, Nearly Wild can get bad Black Spot in our area - unless you want to spray chemicals it may not be the best choice to get rid of healthy boxwoods. Maybe leave a few boxwoods in the front and let the roses spill over? Then if Nearly Wild drops all of its leaves, you won't mind so much cause the boxwoods will hide the naked knees of NW.

Li

• silly_me
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks for that warning Li. i'd been under the impression that nearly wild was pretty hardy.

i've decided not to replace the boxwoods. but i'm still hoping to try a nearly wild by the back door for some color. unfortunately i haven't been able to locate one. i guess i'll have to go the mail order route when i get serious about it.

• dadof5gyrls
    18 years ago

That's not Nearly Wild. It's close but I have NW and I don't think that's what those pictures are. The color is a bit too pink, NW has a little purple tint in it. The petals also look like they are slightly different.

Nearly Wild is very hardy for me. Never seen blackspot on it and no winterkill at all in zone 5.

• silly_me
    Original Author
    18 years ago

can you post a photo of yours dad?

• brenhelms
    18 years ago

May I suggest, as another option, that the rose may be 'Rush'? The link below will take you to HelpMeFind for pictures to compare it to. The picture from André Servais' Rose Garden was striking to me, as the speckling on his blooms matches the speckling on the blooms in your pictures (the closeup in particular). Unfortunately, there is not much info to be had on this rose-Googling it did not turn up anything of real value-but it appears to be well-liked in Europe and was at one time available at Heirloom Roses here in the U.S. Hope this helps in some way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rush® at HMF

• roseluver
    18 years ago

It resembles Carefree Delight to me. arosegirl

• roseluver
    18 years ago

Ooops, Carefree Beauty, a buck rose not Carefree Delight. Sorry about that. arosegirl

• Maddiegirl
    18 years ago

My first thought was Betty Prior.

• aegis1000
    18 years ago

That's a beautiful rosebush ... I'd go with Rush as an ID.

• alicia7b
    18 years ago

It should be easy to tell if it's Rush. According to helpmefind, it has small blooms (only 2" across) and a strong fruity fragrance.

Sponsored
Interior Style by Marisa Moore
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars57 Reviews
Northern Virginia Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2013-2020!