Posted by mosypiuk z5MA (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 12, 05 at 19:35

Does anybody recognize this rose?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's her name?

Just a question first, please. Is it a pink, like the photos indicate, or is it a mauve rose (lavender) that the camera has trouble capturing?

Regards,
JohnReb

o

It is mauve. The colour on the first picture is closer to real. It has very nice mild scent

o

Okay, thanks, that's what I suspected. I've seen *that* particular hue of "pink" in rose-photos which the poster said was actually a mauve/lavender rose.

It is said that most lavenders have medium or strong fragrance. So if yours is only mild, that characterisitc narrows down the candidate-list a lot. My first guess would have been Heirloom - but Heirloom has Intense frgarance.

As you probably know, at this time of year afternon heat greatly diminishes a rose's scent. So the best time to check scent-level is mid-morning. Was your rose's scent "mild" at that time of day?

Your rose appears to be newly-planted. What was the Source of your rose? A "real" nursery, a big-box-store bodybagged bareroot - or in a pot? An online seller?

All the blooms in the photo are singles - a characteristic which tends to indicate a Hybrid-Tea rose. But that may not be a "solid" indicator if it's a newly-planted young rose - which may not have matured enough to produce custers.

Mossypink, how would you characterize its leaf-color, glossiness, and texture? (Photos can be misleading.)
light-green
medium-green
dark-green
glossy
semi-glossy
non-glossy
leathery - or not?

Is there anything else you could tell us about the rose which would help identify it?

Regards,
JohnReb

o

Hi,
Thank you for your responses.
I bought this rose in 2003 fall, in BJ's. I was "normal" that time, just wanted to give it a try. And of course I've got the bug. This rose was waxed, but survived the winter and had some flowers last year. This year she is much more vigorous, second bloomer after double blanc de coubert in my garden (I have 42 roses now). Although she is not more then a foot tall. Her leaves are rather dark green semigloss, and quite thick. She is healthy, didn,t have black spot, which some other of my roses had despite spraying. Actualy the first picture shows exactly how she looks like.
Re. scent- I still would call it mild, I have to have my nose close to the flower, but it's very nice, typical "rosy" for me.

o

Okay, thanks for the info, Mosypink.
Let's review the ID-clues we presently have.

Your rose appears to be in the "medium-lavender" color category.
Your rose blooms singly in its 2nd year in the ground, likely indicating a hybrid-tea.
Also in its 2nd year in the ground, it has remained comparatively short and small-ish.
As noted, most of the mauve/lavender roses are said to have strong fragrance. You say yours is "mild."
Your rose's leaves are dark-green, semi-glossy, and leathery.

Among the "mild-scent" lavenders, I thought it might be Paradise ...your rose's location seems partially-shady, which could explain the lack of Paradise's red-blush. But your rose's blooms appear to have more than Paradise's average of 25-30 petals.

To me, its buds look like Heirloom's buds - and the foliage-description is a match. My yard's 5 Heirloom bushes have all stayed comparatively small and short - like your rose. But Heirloom's fragrance-level is not a match with your rose.

Particularly because of that last point, I'm stumped. Heyyy Rosetom, your phone is ringing. : )

Regards,
JohnReb

o

Thank you John.
I looked at heirloom on helpmefind.com. Some of the pictures are almoast identical to my rose. May be the scent is misleading. Gertrude Jekyll, for example should have strong scent, but mine again I need to have my nose close to the flower. Or it's my nose. Thank you again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here