Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowersandthings

Help me 'id' this heavenly scented rose! :)

flowersandthings
18 years ago

Sad stuff since my family is finally selling an old estate that was my great grandmothers. I wish they just wouldn't seel it.... anyway.... I've been purusing the grounds to "rescue" any plants that I could take..... lots of perennials etc. but as per shrubs like roses they are hard to get (huge hard to dig etc.) do you think I could dig any? Anyway.... I did take cuttings.... I HOPE I can root them .... I am so bad at it.... I would dearly love to have some of these "family heirlooms" on my property. Maybe I could grow (if worse comes to worse) from seed? Anyway I forgot to take apic of the whole plant today but do have a pic of the leaf from my cutting. The plant was a large (not too tall) but broad.... shrubby type rose.... growing in sun/part shade. Very vigorous.... covered with leaves and flowers and not disease. Lots of smaller (not like hybrid tea) thorns. It bears single magenta blossoms (sort of wild rose looking) but the smell so stood out! Outstanding! A strong rose smell mixed with clove or carnation. The leaves were also sort of unuaual "matte" (not shiny) looking and deeply veinied (with alot of veins) and sort of grooves allover. I took a photo I don't know if it captures the detail of the leaf:

{{gwi:1226169}}
If I can't wind up propagating it I would at least love to know what it is so I could maybe? (if I could find one) buy one. :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH