Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claireplymouth

Dorothy Perkins or another rambler?

Back in the '50's my mother planted two rambler roses at our summer cottage in Plymouth, MA. After many years they were neglected, and in the '90's I found two small sprigs fighting off lily of the valley in almost pure sand.

I fed and nurtured them and they recovered, only to be moved twice during construction, spending one winter in containers. Bottom line is that these are very hardy roses. They bloom once a year, around the Fourth of July, and have minimal or no fragrance. No obvious hips, either. I forgot to measure the blossoms and it's dark out now, but they're small, probably about one to one and a half inches in diameter.

In 2008, they covered an arch completely.

However, in 2009, a fierce windstorm took the arch down and I had to cut the roses drastically to get them off the arch (which was blocking a path). They barely blinked - this is a shot from 2010. I decided not to re-establish the arch.

This year the two original roses are at least six feet tall and just starting to bloom. I also have several seedlings (although I can't be sure they're not grown from inadvertent cuttings that fell somewhere in the yard).

The thorns were an obvious red when the roses started leafing out this year, although the red has faded a bit now. The blossoms seem to stay the same color of deep pink/red in all stages of bloom. The foliage seems to have some mildew/blackspot, although this has been a really wet spring here.

This is one of the seedlings sending out a cane ready to take over the yard.

I hope someone can identify this rose. I'll take more photos if you tell me what to look for.

Thanks,

Claire

Comments (9)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County