Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink THORNY rose

Posted by harris_growing 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 27, 09 at 22:30

Here is a picture of the flower on a rose that is growing in my back yard. It is densely thorny - to the point that there is nowhere to touch it. I was referred here from the UBC botanical site, and there is another picture (with foliage and the thorny stem) there, as well as pics of another rose I'd love help with. As far as I can tell, I can only post a single picture here, so I'll include the URL for any who think the additional pictures would help. Thanks!

Mike

Image link: Pink THORNY rose (56 k)

Here is a link that might be useful: Two roses with foliage

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink THORNY rose

It reminds me of Marchesa Boccella (aka Marquise Boccella and Jacques Cartier), which I used to grow. I'll put a photo link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: Marchesa Boccella photos

o

The flowers do look right. I couldn't find a good picture online of the stems for marchesa Boccella - are they as densely thorny as mine?

o

I grew one at our former home, so can't check, but if I remember correctly the stems were prickly all the way up to the bloom.

Since we haven't found stem photos to compare, maybe it would be productive to focus on the foliage. How do the leaves in the HelpMeFind photos compare to your rose?

o

Thanks for the suggestion. The stems are so prickly I forgot I could use other avenues.

In looking for terminology, I ran across a website that I'll link. Using it, I'd call my rose "doubly serrate" whereas the Marchesa Boccella pictures I've seen would be just serrate. The main difference is actually the size - my serrations are tiny - they don't even look like serrations in the pictures. The ones on Helpmefind are far more orderly.

I also discovered today that the prickles on the new foliage are flexible enough that as long as I'm moving my fingers up the stem instead of down they bend and I can grasp the stem. (One year old or older growth is an entirely different story!"

Happy 4th,

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: leaf margins 1/4 way down

o

No, not Marchessa Bocella. On the picture from other UBS site it looks like it can be Common Moss or some other Moss rose. If you rub your fingers on the stem or bud and smell them, will you get piny smell?
Olga

o

I'll put a link below to the HelpMeFind listing for the Common Moss rose that Olga suggested (super-prickly!):

Here is a link that might be useful: Common Moss photos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here