Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eclecticcottage

Cottage? Rugosa?

eclecticcottage
11 years ago

This lovely rose is growing "wild" along the property line at the Cottage. It is VERY thorny, and has a lovely "old fashioned" scent. If I recall correctly from when we looked at the Cottage last year, this is NOT a rebloomer.

Image link:

Comments (7)

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Forgot to mention we're zone 5, but right on Lake Ontario, so our seasons run a little later. It grows about 3-4' in height and has been growing and blooming on it's own for several years as the Cottage was vacant when we bought it (no pruning, feeding, watering, etc-just what nature provided). It was covered in hips last fall.

• donaldvancouver
    11 years ago

Hi- it's definitely a rugosa. Others more knowledgeable than I might have an idea of what variety it is, but maybe look up Hansa. It's an old variety, tough as nails, and commonly grown on older rural properties across Canada.

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! I figured it was thorny enough to be a Rugosa. I imagine it's an older cultivar since most (remaining) landscaping here is at least 30 or more years old.

I looked at Hansa, but my rose is a lighter pink, I think Hansa is usually a darker pink. I swear it's not a rebloomer, but I'm going to have to double check some photos from last year now. I didn't think it bloomed all summer, but I can't be certain...

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

IMHO, it's not a Rugosa, looks like a Damask or perhaps Gallica. Centifolias are once-blooming as well.

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After reading descriptions of the Damasks, it could easily be one, in poking around on several sites, I'm thinking Ispahan fits best. It has taken over an area below some Rose Of Sharon and turned into a thicket-I have no idea how many individual bushes there are (and with those thorns, I'll likely NEVER know, lol) but the tallest canes are only about 4' high. I looked at photos we took last July and it is definately a once bloomer, as it was pretty much done by mid-July last year. The individual blooms last about a day it seems. I was watering some Elderberry down a little ways last night, and even with only a very slight breeze I could easily smell the roses from about 50' or so away. They are certainly fragrent.

• Krista_5NY
    11 years ago

Damasks are really fragrant, wonderful fragrance.

The local botanic garden grows Ispahan, your rose has the pink shade like Ispahan, (however I don't know if your rose is Ispahan...)

• eclecticcottage
    Original Author
    11 years ago

After reading up more on the Ispahan Rose, I am about 95% sure that is what I have. One characteristic I've noticed that is mentioned several times about the Ispahan is that it will fade to a lighter pink color as the bloom ages-my roses do this as well. It is getting to the end of the flush now, although there are still blooms, it's not completely covered in them. I am going to attempt to brave the thorns and see if I can pot a few suckers and keep them happy for plant trades later (and to move some closer to the house to enjoy that lovely fragrence). I'll try 2 and see if it works.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm