Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying again with a peachy pink rose

Posted by northspruce z2b MB CDA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 28, 05 at 23:02

I posted earlier that I thought this could be Charlotte Brownell but I think I am scrapping that idea because it is a little different than I remembered. This picture is typical of its color, it starts shell pink and turns peach as the bloom ages. Later season flushes can be peachy-yellowish.
BUD:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Bloom:

It has a very light fruity fragrance. The petals tend to reflex as seen here rather than quilling. The foliage starts out very red and retains red veins and leaf margins for some time but turns medium matte green at maturity.
The growth is strong and upright. Flowers are one (occasionally 2) per stem. Shown here earlier this spring growing back from winter dieback. Plant and blooms look deceptively small here - both are average to large in reality. It gets to about 2.5 - 3 feet by August each year. Thorns are relatively few, large, straight, and pinkish in color.
The rose is definitely older than 1990 and probably older than 1980.

I appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying again with a peachy pink rose

I know that it was bred in 1998, but it does look similar to the Bill Warriner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Help Me Find- BIll Warriner

o
Bill Warriner

In fact, I am pretty sure that it IS Bill Warriner. If you look at the link to help me find and look at the pic I posted on there, it looks like the leaves and everything. It is the three roses in a row with the leaves surrounding it.

o

BW most always blooms in clusters. This looks like it most often blooms one to a stem.

It reminds me a whole lot of the old florist's rose Sonia, which became a pretty big seller for J&P, I think. I'm surprised that any HT would be hardy enough for you though. And the only other HT looking rose that I can think of that remotely resembles yours and is supposed to be hardy would be Les Sjulin, the Buck rose.

o

Because I didn't see anything familiar about Northspruce's mystery-rose, I haven't participated in this thread.

I'm speaking up now because Hollyspring's opinions have a good record for accuracy. Holltsprings thinks the rose might be Sonia. Having checked the (21) photos of Sonia at HelpMeFind dotcom, Hollysprings seems to be yet again right-on-target.

Take a look at the 21 photos and see if you agree. Also click on the "Main" tab for descriptive details about Sonia and see if that info matches up with your mystery-rose. Use the URL below, or the Link at the end of this post.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?i=A5868&tab=10

Regards,
JohnReb

Here is a link that might be useful: 21 photos of Sonia at HelpMeFind dotcom

o

OMG it IS Sonia! 105% sure. It was hard to explain how sometimes it is yellow-peach but you can see that variation clearly on HMF. The real clincher is how the outer petals age to a blotchy magenta pink, which you can also see on some of the HMF pics. This rose is one of my hardier HTs, believe it or not, I think in part because it is well situated and is obscenely healthy in my yard. I winter protect it with a box filled with soil and it comes through with green canes in the spring. Thank you so much, I am so happy to know what it is I am almost sick.

Thanks for the BW suggestion too, it does look similar but it's definitely much older than that.

o

In case anyone is interested, here she is a week later in a yellow mood as I mentioned she does sometimes... don't know if anyone else's Sonia does this but some look yellower on HMF.

The rain does cruel things to her petals too, I can see why people would grow it under glass.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here