Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pink and Yellow Rose - Charlotte Brownell??

Posted by northspruce z2b MB CDA (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 23, 05 at 23:13

This rose came with the house and I would dearly love to know what it is. It is definitely older than 1990, and is probably older than 1980.

- It is a pink/yellow blend. These pics are at the pinkest end of the scale, some years the later flush is almost all yellow. Typically it is yellow at the base of the petals.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
- It is my hardiest HT with protection in Zone 2b. This makes me think it might be a Sub-Zero rose.
- It is NOT Peace but has similar coloring. Has much smaller leaves and blooms. The later blooms are bigger than these though.
- I thought it could be Tiffany but it has no smell.
- The shrub is tall and straight. These pics are half-grown back from winter dieback. It gets about 2.5 to 3 feet by fall. It blooms mid-June with a few summer repeats and a second strong flush in late August.
- Medium thorniness. Thorns are distinctly pinkish/peach colored.
- The foliage starts very red and retains dark red veins and edges into maturity.

Very grateful for any comments, especially if anyone has a Charlotte Brownell to compare it to. Or if anyone thinks it's something else. If we can't figure it out I might wait for some more typical yellower blooms. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pink and Yellow Rose - Charlotte Brownell??

It looks more like it could be 'curly pink',
another Brownell Rose. Have you seen that one?
Alida

o

Well, these pics do look like the shell pink colour of Curly Pink, but I don't think it could be Curly Pink. Given that it has no smell, flowers are single not clustered, and it usually has a lot more yellow. I would say the average bloom is the exact colour as the average Peace but a little more intense colour. Thanks for the input tho.

o

did you get a good look at the foliage of
charlotte brownell on hmf?
alida

o

HMF is kind of a kicker, since the four roses on HMF don't even look all that much like each other. The first three really do look typical of my rose when it gets the yellow going. The first pic especially looks exactly like it.

As far as the foliage goes, the redness does eventually disappear in the veins of my leaves. I guess I wasn't that clear about that. The foliage on HMF looks like my rose later on. One thing I notice on HMF, on pic#2, is that the bud looks exactly like mine too...

At this point, unless someone can tell me what it IS instead, I assume it is C.B. I wonder if anyone else grows it and finds that it sometimes blooms all pink?

o

I grow CB...and this isn't it. Mine are generally a yellow/white with pink edges and looks like http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=1099. Yours is definitely something else...though it absolutely beautiful!

o

Thank you for your help Maddie, I was coming to that conclusion myself... I started a new thread with some later, more typical pics. FWIW, I'm glad to hear someone on the prairies is growing CB, I would like to get one anyway because I like the older HTs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here