Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does anyone know this dark purple/ crimson moss rose?

Posted by boisemom 5/6 West (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 07 at 23:45

This is another one of the Idaho Botanical Garden's "mystery roses" (lost label; no one knows its identity!) The IBG would like to get its roses properly labelled and recorded. If anyone recognizes this rose (or any of the others that I have posted on this forum), please let me know! Thanks so much!

This one is a moss rose, I think, although the "moss" is pretty sparse! Flowers are small, very double, and deep purple/ crimson. The flowers are slightly lighter-colored in the center than on the edges; outer petals have a mottled look, almost as if they are faintly striped. I think the rose could be described as having a "silvery reverse" (I have seen this phrase used on helpmefind!")

The shrub is small, sparse, and rather gawky. Canes are very thorny. Buds are squat and stout in appearance.Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Shrub (less than three feet tall):Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Buds and flower on a hotter day, which seemed to affect the color:Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket (The overhead sprinklers had just run, so the flowers were soaking wet.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does anyone know this dark purple/ crimson moss rose?

I went out and took another look at this rose today. The flowers are about 2" across (meaning that my first photo above is somewhat larger than life!); one that I dismembered had a petal count of 129. I would call the fragrance "medium," but I don't have as strong a sense of smell as most people! Leaves are rather coarse; it is the water on them that makes them appear shiny in the photo above.

o

Perhaps Indigo?

o

Hello - the first picture sure looks like my Austin rose, Tradescant.

o

Hmmm . . . I've been looking at photos of 'Indigo,' and you're right, it does look a LOT like it! The leaves look right, too. This rose is smaller and has a higher petal count than the descriptions for 'Indigo,' though . . . I wonder whether those depend on growing conditions? I think this rose is a once-bloomer, but I could be wrong . . . I'll have to go out and check on it a few times this summer to see whether it blooms again.

o

Does anyone grow 'Ombree Parfait' / 'Ombree Parfaite'? I ran across a description of it, and it seems to fit this rose fairly well . . . at least, as far as the description went.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here