Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Uncommon Rose's Common Moss - NOT!

Posted by Long_island_rose Eastern LI z6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 13, 05 at 23:48

This mislabeling of roses problem is so disappointing. I waited a year for my Common Moss (Old Pink Moss) from Uncommon Rose to bloom, and all I got was this little lackluster single with little fragrance. Anyone want to guess which moss it might be? Just curious - I won't be keeping it. Thanks so much. - LIR

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Uncommon Rose's Common Moss - NOT!

That does look like a moss and curiously it does resemble the botanical drawing on helpmefind for Common Moss which does not look like the photos others have planted. I would give it another year.

o

Thank, LaBrea! It's a moss, but not the one I ordered (or thought I was ordering). Or do you think it could bloom first as a single (four little petals) without much fragrance for some freaky reason and still be the right moss rose? If I wait a year and it blooms fully double and fragrant next year, then it'll be renamed 'Jekyll and Hyde'! The vendor's description says: "The blooms are a soft silvery pink color, fully double in the Cabbage Rose form, and powerfully fragrant."

LIR

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Pink Moss description

o

From what I understand, single moss roses are rare. Helpmefind.com only has two listed - Goethe, which is mauve, and Rivers' Single Crimson. So your rose really is "Uncommon!"

o

Cecilia, thank you for that information. But now I'm really confused! Tomorrow I'll try to get some better photos of the moss-covered buds to better document this mystery rose. So far I haven't been able to contact the vendor; hoping they they can shed some light on all of this.

- LIR

o
RE: Single Pink Moss

I've received confirmation from the vendor that this rose is a mislabeled ''Single Pink Moss'' and not Common Moss (Old Pink Moss). Thanks for your help, everyone. - LIR

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here