Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown fragrant pink rose

Posted by Greening z6 Boston (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 05 at 0:26

BLOOMS are light to medium pink, quite fragrant, with around 40 petals. They grow in clusters.

THORNS are copious and thin, and there are larger, easily broken thorns among them.

PLANT is about 2' tall and 3' to 4'. Canes are about 2.5' long and spreading, not upright.

GROWING in full sun, but has been neglected the past few years. Some mild yellowing of some leaves, and thrips like the buds, but otherwise healthy.

Any information (even what kind it is-- a floribunda?) would be appreciated. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures (click on the little ones to see them bigger)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown fragrant pink rose

Oh, I should add, the pictures are pinker than it really is.

o

Is it a once-bloomer or does it repeat? And do you know anything about the history of the rose - who planted it and how long it's been there?

o

Cecilia-- Don't know about repeating, since I just moved in last August (and it wasn't blooming then, but swallow-wort was rampaging all over it, so it might not have gotten enough sun). I don't know anything else about it, except that once upon a time (probably at least five years ago) someone took great pains to plant and mulch these roses. Next to it is a Jackson & Perkins Grand Masterpiece, which according to helpmefind.com has been available since 1978.

o

May I suggest 'Dearest' as a place to start?

Here are some links to copy and paste-the link at the bottom will lead you directly to HelpMeFind.

http://countrygardenroses.com/index.htm?pages/intro.htm~mainFrame (leads to the main page-go to alphabetical listing and you'll find Dearest listed, then click it)

http://www.rogersroses.com/gallery/displayBlock.asp?bid=2137&suppid=22

Here is a link that might be useful: Dearest at HMF

o

Bren,

Mine doesn't look like Dearest when it's opening-- it looks sort of balled up, if that makes any sense. I tried looking for J&P light pink floribundas just in case it came with the red J&P next to it, but none of them look quite right...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here