Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamnchar

Help! What kind of rose is this?

tamnchar
15 years ago

I am in the process of going through our 10 acres and through clean up, etc, I'm finding lots of different rose bushes. I cut this one all the way back and now its blooming these 5 petal flowers. The only thing I could come up with is a dog rose of some sort. But the petals on the pictures I have found on google are closer. This is almost pinwheel looking. Does anyone have an idea what type this is?

Image link:

Comments (7)

• mdseagull
    15 years ago

Hard to tell from the photo, but looks a bit like Nearly Wild.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nearly Wild

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Does it bloom and rebloom all season long, or is there just one big flush of flowers in spring? Any fragrance? What are the thorns like?

• tamnchar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have such better pictures but when I had to resize it to get it to their requirements, it made it so hard to see. I apologize. I'm not sure if it blooms all year round, I've just recently "discovered" it, it was grown up HUGE and high..(some of the big thick stalks were hitting the roof of the building it was behind..the thorns on the thicker "woody" looking parts are BIG and MEAN looking..VERY large thorns on those..the newer parts that are growing up and out are more green (not the wood looking of the older parts with the huge thorns) and those have thorns but they don't seem AS big. It definately seems to want to "climb" unlessI keep it cut back. I'm not sure about the fragrance..I'll check tomorrow. I know nothing about roses...I just know when we bought this property, the older lady had a lot of different rose bushes around that had just been left to go wild. I have one right now that has grown up taller than the garage roof! and its starting to entertwine and get all caught up in a huge wisteria vine that is near it..It's a mess...I'll attempt to "find" the main part of that rose bush soon... I'll post back tomorrow maybe with more pictures.. or maybe I can put a link to a bigger photo of it below...I'll try that!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• tamnchar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here is another closer up picture of the rose itself. tomorrow I will get better pictures of the thorns. I don't know why I feel I "need" to know the name of this rose but it just seems like I should try and find out. There are so many neat plants in this yard in addition to all the wonderful rose bushes.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Those are very good pictures. If it wants to climb, it may not be 'Nearly Wild'.

I would post those good pictures to the Antique Rose forum (or a link to this thread), because there are a lot of people on that forum who know about roses like this and would help you ID it.

This forum doesn't get nearly as much traffic as the regular or antique rose forums do. With the clearness of your pictures, I think you'll be able to get an ID, but people will want to know if it is a once bloomer or if it repeats throughout the growing season. That is important for an ID of a rose of this form and petal count.

• tamnchar
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hoovb-- Thank you. I will try and post it there. I had a feeling this wasn't a really active thread but it was the first place I found :) Now I''m off to find the Antique Rose Forum....?? lol...
    tam

• User
    15 years ago

VERY important detail: does it bloom repeatedly through the Summer or no?