Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identifying an older rose

Posted by fatcatslh Z8 Seattle (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 05 at 2:29

I have a rose that a friend gave me that she said was over 60 years old. I would like to try and figure out what this is because it is a very interesting rose. The blooms are multi colored and change color as they age. They start out in some cases as a yellowish, orangie or a pink bud that as they age turn a deep red, sometimes with white in the red. I have never seen anything quite like it. When she was digging this up to bring to me it was all one plant that was about 10 to 12 feet tall and when digging it up it split in two and I now have 2 of these fabulious roses but i would love to find out just what they are. I have posted a picture too.

Image link: Help identifying an older rose (38 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identifying an older rose

Can't see the pic very well, but at a wild, wild guess maybe Joseph's Coat? It is a climber with extremely variable bloom colors. It's not that old though, it's from 1969.

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 13, 05 at 13:25

Looks quite like a miniature in photo, wouldn't know it had been 10 feet high without you having said so.

Here is a link that might be useful: How can I identify a mystery rose?

o

Sorry about that i guess i should have mentioned that when my friend brought it to me she had cut it to about half and after it had been in the ground for about two weeks it was cut back in hopes that it was early enough in the year that it would create new growth, boy has it these things are going nuts. Anyhoo i have posted more pictures here: http://www.fotolog.net/fatcatslh/
hopefully this will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: fotolog of roses

o

Did you look at Joseph's Coat? It really looks like it to me!

Here is a link that might be useful: Joseph's Coat on HMF

o

I think you may be right, i just wanted to get some better photo's up to be certian. Thank you for your help northspruce. By the way help me find is a realy neat site thanks for posting the link to it.

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 15, 05 at 0:44

I wasn't going by the height of the thing, I caught that. I was going by the rest of its appearance. Even with your additional shots I still would not guess 'Joseph's Coat'. But: I don't have another name for it.

o

Helpmefind's advanced search might be able to help. The closest I found was Condesa De Sastago (1930).

Some other roses (unfortunately often without pictures) were Red Echo (1932), Princess van Orange (1934), Climbing Break O' Day (brownell 1944)and Dixie Climber (1935)

Here is a link that might be useful: Condesa De Sastago

o

Rio Samba?

o

it reminds me of cl. circus

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here