Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is this found rose?

Posted by lisa_mi z5 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 6, 11 at 7:36

Hello, all! It's been a VERY long time since I've been on here at Gardenweb. I found a rose bush on my property a few years back and transplanted it. This year it finally gave a few blooms and I'm wondering if anyone can ID it. The flowers are pale pink, 5 petals, and come in sprays. The bush itself is about 3 feet tall and wide, but has some longer canes with the longest being 52 inches tall - so I think maybe it hasn't grown to it's full potential yet. The leaves come in groups of seven, are matte (not shiny), and have serrated edges. It has bloomed only once this season, and the roses did not have any scent. Here are some pics:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is this found rose?

• Posted by seil z6 MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 22:07

It's probably some type of wild or species rose. There are a lot of those and it may be nearly impossible to put a name to it.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 17, 11 at 1:12

Might be Rosa canina.

o

• Posted by TNY78 6B-E TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 23, 11 at 23:08

maybe R. acicularis? It's hardy to zone 2 (wow) and the flowers and size sound about right...

Here is a link that might be useful: R. acicularis

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 4, 11 at 10:28

That certainly looks similar. The leafy sepals might be diagnostic.

o

When I'm asked to ID an unknown rose, especially one found on someone's property, the first thing I do is to eliminate all roses commonly used as rootstock. Many old, unknown roses are feral rootstock whose grafted variety died long ago. From your photos and description, I think this may be the case ... and you may have a form of Rosa canina.

Our own Cass has a great photo and description of how to ID Rosa canina posted on HMF, link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: R. canina sepals

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here