Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joan_plamp

Is this Tequila Sunrise?

Joan Plamp
14 years ago

I have several unknown roses in my garden due to lack of care for 3 years, letting the tags and markers get lost, etc. I'm working in the yard this year for the first time in a few years and am trying to identify some of the "unknowns". This one still had a marker, but it is unreadable except that I think the name may start with "S". But in searching around HMF, I found Tequila Sunrise which seems to be a name I remember buying at some time in the past. This isn't a great picture, there is actually more red on the edges than the picture shows. My question is: Did J&P sell Tequila Sunrise at any time in the past 10 years, and could this be it? Or is there another rose that looks like this whose name begins with "S"? Thanks for any help.

Image link:

Comments (4)

• angel23
    14 years ago

I have a similar rose in my garden but it doesn't begin with "S". I suspect mine is the grandiflora Gold Medal. It does look quite similar to yours, even the leaves, especially along the ribs, look the same.

My rose blooms either singly or in clusters. It has a slight scent with the yellow fading to buff as the flower matures (taking our Philippine heat into consideration). Tequila Sunrise is much more red and the yellow is not as bright.

I would post a picture of my rose with this reply but there doesn't seem to be any provision for posting a photo. (Don't know if this is the "Optional Link URL")

Angel
    Cotabato, the Philippines

• Joan Plamp
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I looked at the pictures of Gold Medal on HMF, and I don't think that's it. Mine definitely has red edges, although you can't really see it in the picture. The red seems to fade as the bloom gets fully open. But when it is just opening, it is red on the edges, going to orange, then finally yellow in the center.

Thanks for the help, though. I appreciate you giving me a suggestion.

BTW, this forum give you the option to upload a photo after you hit the "preview message" button, when yours is the first post in a thread. That's how I did it, anyway. Apparently they don't allow photos in follow-up posts, but you can always put your photo on Photobucket or another image service and just give a link to it.

Thanks again!

• bethnorcal9
    14 years ago

J&P never sold TEQUILA SUNRISE. And that's definitely not TS. If you think it was a J&P rose... possibly SUNDANCE.

• Joan Plamp
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Beth, I think that's it - Sundance! I looked it up on HMF and it definitely looks like my rose. I often bought J&P's new roses, and HMF says they introduced it in 2004, which sounds about right. I'm sure you are right.

Thank you so much for clearing up the mystery! I am so happy I found GardenWeb and all the wonderful people here.

I bought some new copper markers this year that I think will work better than the old cheapie (aluminum? whatever it is that comes with it's own "permanent" marker) and I'm going to go out and put a new marker on it right away!