It has an RU Irish Elegance tag on it, but

Posted by llpnut 8 NTX (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 05 at 8:30

I don't think so...
I have had it since last fall, nearly three seasons
it has never bloomed
here is the foliage
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
here is the bush form, apologies, it got very dry early this summer, got put in the back forty, and though it is clean no spray it isn't showoffable
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
as you see, very fountain to umbrella shaped, 5 to 7 leaflets foliaged, and as far as I can see thornless
any guesses?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It has an RU Irish Elegance tag on it, but

I had Irish Elegance from RU (lost it to horrific crown gall in year three) and it bloomed willingly from the very beginning. The size at three years is small (compared to my former monster) but I don't remember the foliage as being anything special-just usual early HT like. Its growth pattern was very "tea" like.

o

Looks like some kind of undestock. Maybe a thornless form of muliflora?
Suggest shovel pruning.

o

I have Irish Elegance and the foliage looks different than what I can see in your photo. Mine has repeat-bloomed since I first got it.

I think oldroser may be correct, that rootstock overtook your original variety. Time to replace whatever it is with the real thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Irish Elegance -- click on Photos tab

o

I dumped this in the back forty but if it is multiflora do I need to nuke it?

o

Peanut, if you are asking about rosette disease, multiflora is no more dangerous than any other large rose in the yard. It supports rosette in the woods only because it is the rose that grows in the woods. But y'all in DFW don't have to worry anyway.

o

Whoa.
RRD is in the Dallas Fort Worth area. It was there in scattered gardens (Jim and Eve Estes had it on one plant) and I had emails this spring from a garden just north of the metro area where a man was going to loose over a hundred roses to RRD. It got into his garden and he didn't get it identified for a while and it got firmly entrenched.
He finally found a nursery where they'd identified it for another client the previous week and then he found the ebook. Until then, he had been told it was a nutrient deficiency and had been encouraged to fertilize heavily to cure it; that didn't work.
Ann

o

yup
I knew East Texas was on the rrd list
thanks Ann, I'd rather just yank it

as someone said, not worth the water
thanks to all for your help and thoughts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here