Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying Orange Multiflora Rose

Posted by Addiss none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 10:05

We purchased our first home in October, and in the yard was a very straggly looking rose. The canes were thick and strong but other than that it was a mess. I have been learning about roses and it has become a prolific bloomer. I pruned it in the fall, it rested in a bed of leaves over winter and it is now a show stopper!

Blooms bud orange, with red edges where the sun hits. Blooms are 4 inches across, and as the bloom ages the color fades to a pretty ivory with pink touches. Blooms are usually in clumps of three, never single, on long stems. Height easily reaches 5 feet, but doesn't seem eager to get much bigger than that. New shoots and blooms come from the base. We are in the Kansas City Area, house was built in 1978.

Can you help me identify this rose? My guess looking online is maybe a Chris Evert multiflora? The flowers are big though, so maybe a grandiflora?

Thanks so much!! I have learned so much about my growing (12+) rose collection here!

This post was edited by Addiss on Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 14:13

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying Orange Multiflora Rose

Here is another shot showing the stem :-)

o

• Posted by Ninkasi 6ish (Germany) (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 11:20

I'm sorry I can't help, but what a find! Such an interesting color change, those buds are really bright. I do hope someone will be able to identify this for you!

o

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 19:05

From your description it sounds like it's a grandiflora rose and not a hybrid tea. I'm not sure Chris Evert is a match. Take a look at Glowing Peace and see if that looks more like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glowing Peace at HMF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here