Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maybee_france

Can you please ID these (I think) HTs ? (Part 2 of 2) (many pics

maybee_france
15 years ago

Hello again,

If you are still with me, here are the last 3.

#4 Yellow standard: elongated shapely buds, singly and in clusters, light green shiny foliage, some blackspot (grown no-spray), no perfume. I could really use some idea of its class, if not the actual name, as it is responding very poorly to pruning. The secondary twiggy growth dies back quite a lot, yet the full shape of 2 years ago (as per photo) is down to a skinny framework and new strong canes are emerging from half way down the trunk (same variety it seems).

Photos: the bud opens a rich egg-yolk yellow and blows very fast into a disorderly open bloom, fading to paler yellow, often showing pretty orange sepals. The flower measures 5 inches, petal count 20:

The open bloom:

This rose has been grown as a tree with the crown starting at 3 feet high. The plant from there grows another 3-4 feet. Our first year here it produced a massive flush in spring, with no repeat, but in subsequent years it has started to repeat quite regularly after the same impressive flush. Very few thorns:

#5 Pink blend: I love this one! Pointed, elegant buds, huge candelabra clusters, light green leathery foliage, quite healthy grown without spraying, excellent repeat from early May to October, fresh sweet tea perfume (finally one that smells!). Floribunda? This one has really responded to care! From a really old core, it is shooting strong canes full of buds, over 4 feet high and wide.

Photos: the bud opens slowly into a fairly blousy huge bloom, light pink with a touch of lemon yellow at the base of each petal, the open flower measures 5+ inches, petal count 20:

This mass of flowers all came from one new cane (31 buds!):

The same flush (second this year) five days later:

#6 Clear pink: this last one is a cutting of a rose my Dad grew in Italy. The mother plant was well over 6 x 6 feet and a tough survivor (it thrived in a holiday location, receiving care only 3 months of the year). Rounded buds, held singly and in clusters, light green, matte, leathery leaves, a bit of blackspot (grown no-spray), good repeat, nice fresh tea fragrance. Big serious thorns. Starts blooming a month later than the others (here in late June) until fall. Still a young plant but achieving 4 x 3 feet with open framework and straight canes.

The bud opens leisurely to a ruffled shape, showing beautiful stamens (the colour in this photo is not representative):

Some flowers look more double than others, but all have silky petals of the most delicate soft light pink. Flower size is 4 inches, petal count 30:

This is a typical look. Not too many flowers at once, but getting stronger:

Well, that's the lot. I have naturally already done my own research on sites like HMF and with my rose books and encyclopedia, but without much success, I would be very grateful to have your opinion. Thanks!

MayBee

Comments (5)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

#4 Easy Going
    #5 Tiffany
    #6 Queen Elizabeth

• maybee_france
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Hoovb! WOW, you're very good!!! The last two are very much what I thought myself. The #6 pink reminded me very much of a climbing QE I grew many years ago when I was even more clueless than now, and a knowledgeable friend has also proposed Tiffany for #5, based on my photos. I think these two are well spotted.

The #4 yellow, I'm not so sure. On HMF only one photo looks similar. I wish I had Easy Going, it looks like a beauty, but my yellow has no peach, amber or pink veining or undertones. It's egg-yolk yellow and simply pales to lemon-cream with age. My main regret is that it blows too quickly to a very open, unattractive form.

Anyway, many thanks for the quick ID, I'm sure you're correct on #5 and #6!

MayBee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

I wish I had Easy Going, it looks like a beauty, but my yellow has no peach, amber or pink veining or undertones. It's egg-yolk yellow and simply pales to lemon-cream with age. My main regret is that it blows too quickly to a very open, unattractive form.

This describes my 'Easy Going'. Actually "the light green shiny foliage" comment makes me lean towards EG, also the growth habit of your standard. Livin Easy, Easy Going, and the offspring Hot Cocoa have very distinctive foliage, prickles, canes, and growth habit.

What makes ID trickier in your case that you are in Europe, where there are cultivars we don't have here. Easy Going and Livin Easy are very popular as standards here--whether or not that is true in France, I have no idea. Usually though standard roses, which are much more expensive than the regular ones, are less apt to be an obscure variety because of the extra expense. So look at very common cultivars.

Have you looked at Sunsprite and Sunflare? Might also be one of those.

Easy Going foliage:

• maybee_france
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I realize the difficulty with looking at European cultivars, although here I often see many of the old, familiar names from the other side of the pond. I looked at Sunsprite (but my yellow has no scent) and Sunflare (looks a little closer but there is a lemon-yellow tone that I don't see on mine). The photos of Easy Living on HMF are really a mixed bag, though. Hard to believe that it's supposed to be the same rose!

You made a very good point about what is commonly grown as a standard. I'm going to research what's available locally. Thanks again, Hoovb!

MayBee

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    15 years ago

Glad to be of help.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida