Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lionheart_gw

Gallica without a Name

Hi, folks.

This Gallica was planted as a rooted cane. Planted in November of 2004, last year (2005) it put out some growth, and this year it finally bloomed. It is still quite small (2 feet or so), so I do not yet know how big it will eventually become.

The person who sent it to me does not know which Gallica it could be.

So far, its growth has been upright -- more like Tuscany in growth habit than, say, Hippolyte or Belle de Crecy. But it's so young that it's hard to say whether or not it is showing its ultimate growth pattern yet.

Naturally, being a Gallica, it is a once bloomer. It has a sweet, but not overwhelmingly strong, Gallica fragrance. I am fragrance challenged, so this might have a stronger fragrance to those who have a more developed sense of smell. To my nose, it has a moderate, sweet, Gallica fragrance; it does not quite have the depth of fragrance of Hippolyte, but it is similar.

I'm hoping that the photos of the blooms will ring a bell with someone, or at least get us pointed in the right direction. I realize that it may take another year or so of growth and bloom to get enough info for a proper ID.

The color of the bloom in these photos looks true on my monitor -- a reddish purple, or purpley red. There are striations of a lavender-purple in the bloom, which are more pronounced as the bloom ages. Also, there are reflections of a lighter, white-like color on the outer sides of some of the petals.

There were fewer than a dozen blooms this year and I didn't get a chance to do a petal count.

Of course, I could be way off base and this might be a Gallica imposter of some sort, but it sure looks and behaves like a G, especially with those Gallica-like leaves. :-)

Thank you for any and all suggestions!!

-- Deb

{{gwi:1227610}}

{{gwi:1227612}}

{{gwi:1227613}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!