Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

looking for a rose I remember

jannie
18 years ago

My grandmother grew many roses bushes during the 1940s thru 1960s. She passed a long time ago. I happened to drive by her old house, and the yard has been completely changed. All lawn now, the roses are totally gone. I would love to re-create her garden. I have about a dozen roses myself, beenm growing them for just about a year. One rose I especially would like to find: It had shiny dark green leaves, small pale pink flowers. Not a repeat bloomer, as far as I remember. I don't recall whether they had a fragrance. Can anyone suggest the name?

Comments (6)

• tropicalrose
    18 years ago

The fairy?

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

The Fairy repeats all summer. Was it a climbing rose? If so, I'm thinking it's one of the Wichurana Ramblers from the turn of the (previous) century.

• bebble
    18 years ago

alot of times (in my experience) people often remember Seven Sisters (once bloomer, climbing); however, it doesn't have shiney leaves IMHO...

how big did it grow in your area? Was it really thorny, did she deadhead it reg. or leave the spent blooms (if so did they produce hips)? Oh, and can you remember the gen. shape of the blooms?

• cecilia_md7a
    18 years ago

The shiny leaves are why I think it may be a wichurana (if it happens to be a climber).

Do you remember whether it had any fragrance?

• madspinner
    18 years ago

American Pillar has shiney green leaves, and small pink flowers... but they are bright pink rather than pale. It blooms only once and has no scent.

• bellarosa
    18 years ago

Maybe it was Cecile Brunner?