Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for a rose I remember

Posted by Jannie z7 LI NY (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 24, 05 at 10:48

My grandmother grew many roses bushes during the 1940s thru 1960s. She passed a long time ago. I happened to drive by her old house, and the yard has been completely changed. All lawn now, the roses are totally gone. I would love to re-create her garden. I have about a dozen roses myself, beenm growing them for just about a year. One rose I especially would like to find: It had shiny dark green leaves, small pale pink flowers. Not a repeat bloomer, as far as I remember. I don't recall whether they had a fragrance. Can anyone suggest the name?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for a rose I remember

The fairy?

o

The Fairy repeats all summer. Was it a climbing rose? If so, I'm thinking it's one of the Wichurana Ramblers from the turn of the (previous) century.

o

alot of times (in my experience) people often remember Seven Sisters (once bloomer, climbing); however, it doesn't have shiney leaves IMHO...

how big did it grow in your area? Was it really thorny, did she deadhead it reg. or leave the spent blooms (if so did they produce hips)? Oh, and can you remember the gen. shape of the blooms?

o

The shiny leaves are why I think it may be a wichurana (if it happens to be a climber).

Do you remember whether it had any fragrance?

o

American Pillar has shiney green leaves, and small pink flowers... but they are bright pink rather than pale. It blooms only once and has no scent.

o

Maybe it was Cecile Brunner?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here