Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rose_r_red

Is it dorthy perkins? Seven sisters?

rose_r_red
17 years ago

I got this rambler from my grandmother. I know this rose is at least 47 years old because she said it was already growing when she moved to her home 47 yrs ago. She has lots of these ramblers and they grow like mad. Some of them have made their way into the field and she has them brushhogged down. I love this rose and I cringe everytime I think of a brushhog mowing them down. They are very hardy, because they do start to grow again even after they are mowed down.

I grew up with these roses but never knew what they were called. Now that I am growing roses, I asked her if I could have some of her old roses. I took 7 of the ones she normally has brushhoged. All 7 are doing pretty well and have already bloomed for this year. I wish I had taken a picture of the blooms but I got busy and it got to be too late. I am pretty sure they are once bloomers.

I will describe the blooms the best I can and post a picture of the leaves in hopes someone will be able to identify it by the foliage. The bloom are small, a little bigger than a quater, the colors on the 7 bushes range from dark redish pink, to medium pink, to blush pink. I know thats odd, but I do think they all are the same rose. The one in the picture had a medium pink bloom this year. The blooms kind of look like a pom pom in shape.

My grandma calls them "climbing roses" but I am pretty certain they are actually ramblers, they send out long canes but not as long as a climber.

I do remember the size of the bushes before she mowed them down. I would say they were about 5 foot tall, maybe a little bigger. They used to spread out and be rather impressive in size, covered with differnt shades of pink flowers.

Another question. When I dug them up, I couldnt get all of the roots. The roots were large and seemed to go on and on forever under the ground. Probably because they are so old. I got as much as I could but I am worried if they will do OK through the winter. They are growing fine now, have bloomed, am I out of danger from the winter? Is there anything I can do to make sure they get a stronger root system before winter hits.

Thank you very much in advance

Image link:

Comments (3)