Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leopardlady_gw

I have a Rose that multiplies

leopardlady
14 years ago

Hi, I just moved into a house this year, and noticed the rose bush from my neighbors yard is giving me many rose bushes. I just noticed another new one just a few weeks ago. I have over 40, and quit counting in May.

The blooms are pink, they don't last very long (maybe a week or something--hard to recall) and it is a once bloomer, blooming in June right around official summer. They are very fragrant, and the few roses that did bloom filled my yard with the scent. The new bushes didn't produce this year. I guess they are sprouting from the root, because roses don't seed. What kind of rose is this? I've never seen anything like it. It very much resembles a wild rose I've seen on vacation that blooms in the woods.

The soil is mushy and mossy in spring, because of a wood fence. Hardly anything grows there until the shade moves away in the late spring/early summer. Could the multiplying rose be multiplying because of the soil?

Also, I wonder if there is a rose like this that blooms all year? Wouldn't that be wonderful, to have a rose that multiplies and blooms from summer to fall?

Comments (7)

• petaloid
    14 years ago

There are some wild roses that fit the description. It would help to know in which state you live.

• leopardlady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I live in Lower Michigan.

• petaloid
    14 years ago

I will put a link below to a page with information that may help.

If you scroll down to the section on native roses you can read descriptions and click on links for photos:

Here is a link that might be useful: native roses of North America

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    14 years ago

Since it resembles a wild rose, I'm assuming it's either a single or semi-double? The fragrance says either gallica or damask to me, but not too many of those have low petal counts.

Anyhow, most of the Old European once-bloomers and most of the North American roses multiply by suckers. It's not a terribly rare trait.

• leopardlady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mad, sadly I don't really remember how many petals it has. I think it did have more than one row of petals though. I guess, we wait until next year to find out for sure. I will most definitely post pics of it.

Thanks for the information on the suckering roses. I have never, ever in my life encountered anything like this in a rose. But, I've only seen them in other peoples yards. lol. I'm quite the newbie at gardening.The whole summer, I have been peering at peoples rose bushes to see if they are suckering, and I've not seen a one. Hopefully I can find a few NA varieties to grow alongside my mystery rose that will sucker and give me many rose plants in the coming years to share and enjoy.

PETALOID-since I don't really remember the formation or number of petals I couldn't find my rose, and mine are a lighter pink than any of the ones I've seen in the photos. but thank you very much for the information and the link. It helped me understand roses more.

• leopardlady
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mad, sadly I don't really remember how many petals it has. I think it did have more than one row of petals though. I guess, we wait until next year to find out for sure. I will most definitely post pics of it.

Thanks for the information on the suckering roses. I have never, ever in my life encountered anything like this in a rose. But, I've only seen them in other peoples yards. lol. I'm quite the newbie at gardening.The whole summer, I have been peering at peoples rose bushes to see if they are suckering, and I've not seen a one. Hopefully I can find a few NA varieties to grow alongside my mystery rose that will sucker and give me many rose plants in the coming years to share and enjoy.

PETALOID-since I don't really remember the formation or number of petals I couldn't find my rose, and mine are a lighter pink than any of the ones I've seen in the photos. but thank you very much for the information and the link. It helped me understand roses more.

• leopardlady
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It is a wild rose, and I cannot get rid of it. Decided since it only blooms once for a few weeks I do not want it. Do you know the thing will sprout from a piece of branch? EEEKS!!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus