Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a Rose that multiplies

Posted by leopardlady zone 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 10:54

Hi, I just moved into a house this year, and noticed the rose bush from my neighbors yard is giving me many rose bushes. I just noticed another new one just a few weeks ago. I have over 40, and quit counting in May.

The blooms are pink, they don't last very long (maybe a week or something--hard to recall) and it is a once bloomer, blooming in June right around official summer. They are very fragrant, and the few roses that did bloom filled my yard with the scent. The new bushes didn't produce this year. I guess they are sprouting from the root, because roses don't seed. What kind of rose is this? I've never seen anything like it. It very much resembles a wild rose I've seen on vacation that blooms in the woods.

The soil is mushy and mossy in spring, because of a wood fence. Hardly anything grows there until the shade moves away in the late spring/early summer. Could the multiplying rose be multiplying because of the soil?

Also, I wonder if there is a rose like this that blooms all year? Wouldn't that be wonderful, to have a rose that multiplies and blooms from summer to fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a Rose that multiplies

There are some wild roses that fit the description. It would help to know in which state you live.

o

I live in Lower Michigan.

o

I will put a link below to a page with information that may help.

If you scroll down to the section on native roses you can read descriptions and click on links for photos:

Here is a link that might be useful: native roses of North America

o

Since it resembles a wild rose, I'm assuming it's either a single or semi-double? The fragrance says either gallica or damask to me, but not too many of those have low petal counts.

Anyhow, most of the Old European once-bloomers and most of the North American roses multiply by suckers. It's not a terribly rare trait.

o

Mad, sadly I don't really remember how many petals it has. I think it did have more than one row of petals though. I guess, we wait until next year to find out for sure. I will most definitely post pics of it.

Thanks for the information on the suckering roses. I have never, ever in my life encountered anything like this in a rose. But, I've only seen them in other peoples yards. lol. I'm quite the newbie at gardening.The whole summer, I have been peering at peoples rose bushes to see if they are suckering, and I've not seen a one. Hopefully I can find a few NA varieties to grow alongside my mystery rose that will sucker and give me many rose plants in the coming years to share and enjoy.

PETALOID-since I don't really remember the formation or number of petals I couldn't find my rose, and mine are a lighter pink than any of the ones I've seen in the photos. but thank you very much for the information and the link. It helped me understand roses more.

o

Mad, sadly I don't really remember how many petals it has. I think it did have more than one row of petals though. I guess, we wait until next year to find out for sure. I will most definitely post pics of it.

Thanks for the information on the suckering roses. I have never, ever in my life encountered anything like this in a rose. But, I've only seen them in other peoples yards. lol. I'm quite the newbie at gardening.The whole summer, I have been peering at peoples rose bushes to see if they are suckering, and I've not seen a one. Hopefully I can find a few NA varieties to grow alongside my mystery rose that will sucker and give me many rose plants in the coming years to share and enjoy.

PETALOID-since I don't really remember the formation or number of petals I couldn't find my rose, and mine are a lighter pink than any of the ones I've seen in the photos. but thank you very much for the information and the link. It helped me understand roses more.

o

It is a wild rose, and I cannot get rid of it. Decided since it only blooms once for a few weeks I do not want it. Do you know the thing will sprout from a piece of branch? EEEKS!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here