Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tapdogly

What a beauty!

tapdogly
12 years ago

We bought our house about a year ago, and it has this rose bush growing about 6 feet tall. It begins blooming in early June and with repeat blooms lasting until the frost. It also has a pleaseant fragrance (sorry, don't know whether I can say the smell is strong comparing to other rose, but it sure smells wonderful!). The flower appears in long stems.

It is an absolute beauty. Do you know what is it? Belinda's dream? Peace?

Image link:

Comments (13)

• petaloid
    12 years ago

It's hard to say for sure, as there are several nice hybrid teas in that color range.

Definitely not Peace, which is yellow with a blush.

You mentioned Belinda's Dream, which is a possibility, and I'll put a photo link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Belinda's Dream photos

• tapdogly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Petaloid. Yes, it does seem to be a Belinda's Dream. However, by "Googling," I learned that Belinda's Dream can reach a height of 5 feet, but this one is easily 7 feet tall. Maybe we got an extra leggy Belinda. :)

• Krista_5NY
    12 years ago

Might it be Memorial Day? Hybrid Teas can grow tall. From your pic it looks more like a Hybrid Tea than a shrub type rose.

• tapdogly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great suggestion. I will browse the internet and see what pink hybrid tea fits the bill. Don't think that it is Memorial Day though: if the description of Memorial Day I saw on the internt is accurate, the fragrance of our roses probably is lighter than a Memorial Day, and the flowers are a bit smaller too.

I have avoided hybrid teas because I heard that they are not beginner roses. It would certainly be a strong dose of confidence if ours turns out to be a hyrid tea: I did not "take care of" it at all except water it occasionally and fertilize it a coupe of times. Nor did I prune it (as I don't know how to until a couple of months ago), and is kicking myself for not having done so because this one definitely grows on new growth.

• petaloid
    12 years ago

If you go to HelpMeFind they have a huge database of rose varieties with photos and descriptions.

Looks like there are rose societies that meet in Freehold and Medford NJ. They could be a good source of free information on your particular soil and climate conditions, and someone there might even recognize your rose.

• tapdogly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

I don't think it's Memorial Day. Memorial Day has distinctly ruffled/scalloped petals. Belinda's Dream seem more likely but there are a lot of pink HTs.

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

The "Freehold" one is Jersey Shore RS (meets in Tinton Falls). I was thinking that the pink was Queen Elizabeth, but the fragrance thing threw me off. I didn't think Belinda's Dream, 'cause it usually isn't that available here, and it is only marginally winter hardy. There is another pink that isn't coming to mind now, it will come to me, though...

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    12 years ago

Might you have a Bewitched HT?

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

Or perhaps Tournament of Roses?

• tapdogly
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone! I think that, among others, it could be Sexy Rexy or Tiffany. There are just too many pink HTs (and they are all so beautiful)!! :)

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    12 years ago

If Tiffany, it would have yellow at the base, and a strong fragrance (I have two of them, and it doesn't look like Tiff).

• strawchicago z5
    12 years ago

I second the_bustopher's nominationn of Bewitched rose for these reasons:

1) tapdogly is from NJ, and Bewitched is very hardy to zone 4.

2) Bewitched is very simple in form.

3) Bewitched is very vigorous and tall

4) Repeat bloom until frost means this hybrid tea is super-hardy, and only Bewitched is hardy to zone 4 among pink HTs.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia