Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Austin I believe; Please help

Posted by sanrosa 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 08 at 11:55

I bought this from J&P 4-6 years ago (or so). I bought Royal Wedding at the same time. (That one is doing fine)
This was supposed to be a climber I believe. It is only about 4 1/2 feet tall and at its tallest ever.
The blooms are quite small, 2 to 2-1/2 inches, and are in clusters. They are quite dark apricot now but have been lighter in color earlier in the year. Most of the buds ball up and dry up. This has been its best year.
It has a nice fragrance, mildly spicy.
I am wondering, if I move this rose to a more protected place, out of full direct sun, might it do better?
I will either move it or loose it. I put a nice Abraham Darby behind it to replace it, so out it goes either way.
Thank you for your expert input!

Full Bush

Unknown Austin bush

Cluster

Unknown Austin cluster 2

With my hand to show the size of the blooms

Unknown Austin with hand to compare size

Blury (sorry) closeup

Unknown Austin blury

Thank you for looking and for helping!
Sandra

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Austin I believe; Please help

Makes me think of:
DA's "Grace" rose.
I think the pic in the link appears quite a bit darker than what Grace is.
She sure is a beauty, whatever she is.
You can send her to my house :o) Grins
Lioness

Here is a link that might be useful: Grace Rose

o

Thank you, Lioness. It looks like that may be it. If she just didn't have so many dried-up-balled-up buds, I would love it. That is why I am thinking of possibly a spot that gets some afternoon shade.
I appreciate your help!
Sandra

o

A few of my DA's tend to ball too.
I found this info via Heritage Roses glossary:
"Balling. Blooms do not open fully, usually occurring in areas with cool, damp nights. Roses with many petals are more susceptible to balling, thus many old roses are liable to ball on occasion. If you live in an area where your roses ball more often that you would prefer, choose roses with fewer petals".
If this is the case, I do not think moving it will help.
I think the shade may worsen the balling.
Lioness

o

Oh!
We are so dry here that I assumed that they were burning, as they get crispy and brown and dry up before they have a chance to open so the buds make crisp little balls. Maybe balling is the wrong term.
Our average annual percipation is 1/4 inch per week, and we have VERY low humidity and lots of wind; we are high desert, on the colorado plateau.
We haven't had the crispy ball problem with any other of our high petal count roses, though.
Roses with low petal count blow within the day here.
Thank you for your input. I really appreciate it. I will have to rethink what to do with her!
Sandra

o

• Posted by roselvr Burlington Coun (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 25, 08 at 8:22

How about Victorian Spice? Mine gets pretty nasty at times. I don't have a lot of decent pics of it due to that. The color on it also varies, depending on what I feed it. Some times it's more apricot/peach others it's more pink.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here