Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dpallas

NOT Show Garden

DPallas
18 years ago

I ordered a Show Garden climber from Jungs Seed and it didn't break dormancy so they sent me a replacement. It's supposed to be a Brownell Sub-Zero, pillar type, 6-7', zones 4 through 9, fully double medium to deep pink, looks like it has a petal count of 45+, 4 - 5" blooms, to go next to Zephirine Drouhin.

It just bloomed for the first time and it's coral now, but it started out orange earlier this morning. It looks like Joseph's Coat, and if it is, it's a poor substitution. From what I've read, zones 6 - 10 but canes die back in the colder zones, 8 - 10' tall and 4' wide, petal count 23 - 28, red/ orange/ yellow blend. Looks really bad in front of a light blue house.

Not Show Garden:

Here is a link that might be useful: Show Garden at HMF

Comments (14)

• roseluvr
    18 years ago

When I googled 'Show Garden', this is what I came up with-check out the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Show Garden at Ashdown

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Perhaps it could be Lafter?

• DPallas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I think the Ashdown photo is wrong, but the description is right. From a list of Dr. Walter D. Brownell's Sub-Zero roses: 'Show Garden (Pink Arctic), LCl, mp, 1954, ARS 7.3 'Seedling x 'Queen o' the Lakes'; Flowers crimson to rose-bengal, then magenta, double (43 petals), large (4-5"); growth like a HT, followed by 4-5' canes that bloom the first season.

• DPallas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow, northspruce, that's an excellent guess! It looks very close to it, could be. I was trying to recall the other roses Jung had that were this color. Lafter wasn't one of them (IIRC) but Joseph's Coat was. But that doesn't mean anything, their supplier could have mixed them up. Thanks.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

It is at least a Brownell, and one of the more popular ones. I know what you mean when things just don't match what you wanted them to, but if it's any consolation I think it's very pretty!

• DPallas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'd offer to mail it to you, but Agriculture Canada would probably have a fit. I've got a 7' English pillar frame sitting over the darned thing. Well, at least now I can shop around for a tall, pink Austin, OGR, or another Bourbon to go next to Zephirine Drouhin.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Oh c'mon you could forge me a phytosanitary cert and send it collect right? LOL I hope you're not going to murder it...are you? *cringe*

• roseluvr
    18 years ago

Have you looked at 'Livin' Easy' as a possible id for your rose?

Here is a link that might be useful: Livin' Easy

• DPallas
    Original Author
    18 years ago

northspruce: No, I won't murder it, but it can't stay where it is. I'll just put it somewhere out of the way until I can determine it's growth habit.

The place I'm trying to fill must be jinxed - this is the third rose being ripped out of that spot this year and that's the only place a rose has ever been removed.

roseluvr: I checked your link and the photos at HMF. Livin' Easy appears to be a prettier peach and apricot blend, the foliage is glossier, and it appears the centers stand upright for some time. This one opened from a bud to the flat appearance in the photo in just a couple hours. Two other buds did the same thing. If it was Livin' Easy I wouldn't mind too much because that looks like a very nice floribunda, but I don't think it is. Thanks for trying, though.

• neroseman
    18 years ago

No, it's not 'Show Garden'. The Ashdown photo is incorrect (which is particularly embarassing since I sent them the budwood of the correct, deep magenta-pink variety).

Your rose appears to me to be the Brownell rose 'Tip Toes', not one of the Everblooming Pillar series but rather a tall-growing HT, the sibling of 'Lafter', so to speak. See the great photo in Steve Scanniello's "Roses of America".

• steprose
    18 years ago

yeah, I would lean towards a Brownell such as Tiptoes or lafter. Is your rose a pillar rose?

definitely not Livin' easy.

stephen scanniello

• Leemac_z5_Ma
    18 years ago

It doesn't look like Joseph's coat to me either. Joseph's coat doesn't have a ruffley petal edge ( at least mine doesn't) I do think it is pretty though!
    Lee

• petra_gw
    18 years ago

I don't believe it!! I ordered Show Garden from Jung Seeds a couple of years ago and got exactly the same rose you got!! I posted on the rose id forum at that time, and no one was able to ID it. I refer to it as "the ugly rose", hehe. It has vicious thorns, the same color and strangely shaped petals as yours, and is lightly scented. They did not have any more Show Garden roses when I complained to them, so they just refunded the money instead of replacing it. I'd sure like to find out what it is.

• mairenn
    18 years ago

i agree it's not Joseph's coat, although it does look similar. the petals on mine are much more delicate than that, and get pointy with age not ruffly.