Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vrie

I've been asked for this one's name-- help please?

vrie
18 years ago

I bought a house last fall, and most of the beds were already planted. The house itself is built in 1950, so it couldn't have been planted before then. The entire yard had been neglected for at least (and probably just) one year. This rose is the best of the 3 in that bed, and some people have asked what she is-- also, I would like another one at least!

This plant was not tended last year or this spring (except for one dead cane removal this spring) There is no suckering and the blooms are only slightly fragnant. In the spring, she came up with very red leaves that still have a touch of red lining the edges of each leaf. The leaves area dark glossy green (much darker and glossier than her cohorts) The thorns are just over 1/4" and very red, and the stems are reddish also. The clusters that are budding start opening in the center of the cluster, then more buds open outward in each cluster. The color of this pic is accurate.

It was not overwintered or particularly sheltered this winter-- although it is on the west side of the house with a porch to the north where the winds come from. Right now it is approximately 4.5' tall. It is a strongly upright plant, and doesn't sprawl like the others.

{{gwi:762446}}

{{gwi:762454}}

For both myself and some people who want more of this rose, can anyone give me any ideas.

Comments (12)

• northspruce
    18 years ago

As a starting point, it makes me think of Sexy Rexy...
    Looks very nice, BTW!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sexy Rexy at HMF

• cactusjoe1
    18 years ago

I was wondering about Sexy Rexy too.

And you don't have to wait to ID this rose before getting new plants. Why don't you try rooting some cuttings? That way, you can have new plants for yourself fairly quickly.

• northspruce
    18 years ago

Why don't you root one and send it to me for a definitive ID? LOL Kidding :-) That is a super nice looking rose though.

• vrie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks everyone-- looks like I'll be cutting later this summer LOL If it weren't for wind that's scattering my bloom clusters, I'd post a pic of the clusters in bloom-- that's what happens when you live here though--WIND!

• jehandesfleurs
    18 years ago

Your rose looks like one somebody has offer to me without the name about 15 years ago.

I am too seaching for the name.

So do I for other roses (ancient and modern).

Perhaps can you help me.

Jean-luc

Here is a link that might be useful: unkown rose

• michaelg
    18 years ago

Sexy Rexy has a distinctive "imbricated" form in the open flower-- graduated overlapping petals like a camellia, fairly flat. Though maybe "like a camellia" is not the most useful description for someone in Montana.

• msjean
    18 years ago

Looks like Queen Elizabeth to me.

Here is a link that might be useful: HMF

• Laurie_z3_MB
    18 years ago

I'm not sure it would be Sexy Rexy. How could a floribunda survive zone 3/4 with no winter protection? If people really believe that's what it is, I'm getting one! :)
    Laurie

• roseluvr
    18 years ago

Another vote for Queen Elizabeth. I read the comments on HMF's reference page-seems to describe the behavior of your rose. Color, fragrance level, leaves and disease resistance are also a match.

bren

• vrie
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I did take a couple more pics today. I've deadheaded her several times and she just keeps going!

I was looking at HMF and it does seem a good match to QE. My main hesitation is the zone and really a lack of protection. It is in a sheltered spot, with coverage from the north and east by the house and a large lilac to the south.

{{gwi:1228033}}

{{gwi:769637}}

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Vrie, that's absolutely positively not Queen Elizabeth. QE is a Grandiflora-class rose, which blooms both in singles and in low-numbered clusters ...and tends to have a hybrid-tea's long-ish stems below a bloom. Your rose is blooming in higher-number clusters and the buds are on *very* short stems.

My area of rose-knowledge is mostly limited to Hybrid Teas and Grandifloras (I grow about 80 varieties of them - including two Queen Elizabeth bushes), so I can't be much help about your non-HT/non-GF mystery-rose's name. All I can do is note that its bloom-color is indeed very very similar to Queen Elizabeth (which may help you in your quest) ...but it's definitely not QE.

Regards,
    JohnReb

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    18 years ago

It could be QE, growth habit varies. MT weather conditions and soil are very different than VA. My QE used to produce big clusters at times.

You might try seeing who has QE in your local area and compare them.

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars114 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz