Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown climber

Posted by emorysmom z8 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 20, 05 at 13:53

Please help ID this rose.
Mystery rose was purchased from walmart on sale 3 yrs. ago. It was labled, but i lost the tag. Looks small in this pic because it was repotted this spring, but in its last pot was climbing to 6 ft. Blooms are deep pink and fragrant. Foliage is bluish red and not glossy. Bright pink thorns. Repeat bloomer. Disease resistance is excellent,standing up to the heat very well...
I hope i can find out more!

Image link: Unknown climber (38 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown climber

I by no means am an expert; however, I just thought I'd ask it you remembered the tag saying "Cl." or Climber on it - if your in zone 8, 6ft might not indicate climber...just tall.

Oh, and btw others who know roses better will prob. ask you about the fragrance, thorns (color & #), leaves new growth color - anything that could set it appart. I had one once and oddly enough it was the sepals shape after the petals had fallen that pegged it.

Just trying to help...It looks like you'll prob. find a name for it though.

Best of Luck

o

some other characteristics are...Strong canes with thorns, but the stems are thornless and weak. If it rains hard blooms flop over and bend the stem. Blooms singly and in clusters. Greyish blue matte leaves, with new growth being red. Planted from bareroot into pot 3yrs ago. Although it took awhile this rose appeared to be a climber. With tall bare canes and lush top growth. The pot it was in cracked and so it was replanted into a new pot this spring. It is about one third of the size it was last year, but is growing well.

o

Without more info, and off the top of my head, it looks like Pink Don Juan-but this is where fragrance level, petal count, and bloom size (among other things) are needed to help narrow down the myriad of choices out there. bebble is right-your rose could be just a very tall-growing variety rather than a climber. Pink Don Juan is a climber-check out the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Don Juan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here