Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gerry_wyomingpa

not Gruss an Aachen

gerry_wyomingpa
17 years ago

This is the Gruss an Aachen I received from the Wayside order I placed, I am thinking it might be wrong...

Any ideas who this might be?

I certainly am not complaining, I really love it, just not what I was expecting.

Comments (9)

• cecily
    17 years ago

Julia Child is listed in their fall catalog, perhaps it is she. Whoever it is , you still need Gruss.

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Cecily,

I was thinking it might be her also, but I am detecting no scent at all from this one, and the Julia that I have has a nice scent. Of course this one is in a pot for now, and it is the first bloom, so it could change. I should compare the buds and leaves.

I agree about Gruss, will have to try again next year.

Gerry

• petaloid
    17 years ago

I am so glad you posted this question. I just picked some blooms from the bush I bought years ago, labeled 'Gruss and Aachen.' Mine have shapely buds and, when fully opened, look just like the photo you posted.

I've always loved the rose, but suspected it was mislabeled because photos I've seen show that variety with pink coloration and somewhat different form. I've had it for so long I don't recall where I bought it.

If someone can say what it is they will have solved the mystery for both of us!

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Petaloid,

I do like this rose, I love yellow roses, so I am keeping it for sure, just not sure what to do with it yet. Here in the north it will need to be planted ASAP, it is in a pot now, but not sure how big it is going to get. Oh well, maybe it is time for a new rose bed, one for the unknows!

Gerry

• lemon_meringue
    17 years ago

I also bought one from Parks but mine is in bud and hasn't bloomed yet so no idea yet. But your yellow rose is really lovely!

• banders
    17 years ago

My Gruss looks to be OK. I've had one bloom and it looks like the other Gruss I have.

Barbara

• dodgerdudette
    17 years ago

gerry, I can't quite tell the form of this rose, could it be Graham Thomas ? Were the blooms cupped ? That kind of dull matte green foliage reminds me alot of Graham. I went out to look at his flowers just now but every on is ruined by this heat wave we are having.
    Kathy in Napa

• altorama Ray
    17 years ago

Gerry,
    I got a mislabeled from them once. They asked me for the
    order #, etc, and a pic of the rose, and contacted their
    grower, and let me know what it was. It was not a rose
    that had been listed in their catalog, turned out to be
    a species rose. (which is one of my best roses!)

alida

• gerry_wyomingpa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Dodger, I think you might be right, it does look very much like the GT I have, now if they would just both bloom together :-)

Alida, That is a good idea, perhaps I should try, but as Dodger suggested, I think it might be GT.

Thanks guys.

Gerry