Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
not Gruss an Aachen

Posted by gerry_wyomingpa z6 NEPA (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 20, 06 at 14:00

This is the Gruss an Aachen I received from the Wayside order I placed, I am thinking it might be wrong...
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Any ideas who this might be?

I certainly am not complaining, I really love it, just not what I was expecting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: not Gruss an Aachen

Julia Child is listed in their fall catalog, perhaps it is she. Whoever it is , you still need Gruss.

o

Cecily,

I was thinking it might be her also, but I am detecting no scent at all from this one, and the Julia that I have has a nice scent. Of course this one is in a pot for now, and it is the first bloom, so it could change. I should compare the buds and leaves.

I agree about Gruss, will have to try again next year.

Gerry

o

I am so glad you posted this question. I just picked some blooms from the bush I bought years ago, labeled 'Gruss and Aachen.' Mine have shapely buds and, when fully opened, look just like the photo you posted.

I've always loved the rose, but suspected it was mislabeled because photos I've seen show that variety with pink coloration and somewhat different form. I've had it for so long I don't recall where I bought it.

If someone can say what it is they will have solved the mystery for both of us!

o

Petaloid,

I do like this rose, I love yellow roses, so I am keeping it for sure, just not sure what to do with it yet. Here in the north it will need to be planted ASAP, it is in a pot now, but not sure how big it is going to get. Oh well, maybe it is time for a new rose bed, one for the unknows!

Gerry

o

I also bought one from Parks but mine is in bud and hasn't bloomed yet so no idea yet. But your yellow rose is really lovely!

o

My Gruss looks to be OK. I've had one bloom and it looks like the other Gruss I have.

Barbara

o

gerry, I can't quite tell the form of this rose, could it be Graham Thomas ? Were the blooms cupped ? That kind of dull matte green foliage reminds me alot of Graham. I went out to look at his flowers just now but every on is ruined by this heat wave we are having.
Kathy in Napa

o

Gerry,
I got a mislabeled from them once. They asked me for the
order #, etc, and a pic of the rose, and contacted their
grower, and let me know what it was. It was not a rose
that had been listed in their catalog, turned out to be
a species rose. (which is one of my best roses!)

alida

o

Dodger, I think you might be right, it does look very much like the GT I have, now if they would just both bloom together :-)

Alida, That is a good idea, perhaps I should try, but as Dodger suggested, I think it might be GT.

Thanks guys.

Gerry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here