Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 Unknown Roses, 1 Dr. Huey Perhaps?

Posted by azmountains_gardener AZ 5b/6a (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 14, 10 at 14:37

I need help identifying three roses, one pink and two red. My parents planted them 25 to 30 years ago and cannot remember their names.

The one for this post is either a climber or rambler. This is the one I would guess is Dr. Huey. My mom says that it's flowers and form (climber/rambler) have always been the same, so no chance of a grafted rose being overtaken by the rootstock. It's canes are 8-10 feet long. It flowers once per year, almost always in late May (though this year it didn't bloom until the middle of June). It's flowers have, on average, about 15 petals. The color is red. The form of the flower is double but open, with golden stamens. It has a very light, spicy scent.

I didn't think of trying to identify these roses until just the other day, so this and the pink rose's flowers are pretty far gone. Therefore, I don't have very good pictures of the flowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: I couldn't put the pictures in this post (the files were too big), so I added them to my Flickr account, so click on this link to go there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 Unknown Roses, 1 Dr. Huey Perhaps?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jul 15, 10 at 0:52

Looks different to me in these views. And thanks to supplier(s) grafting roses on it which later die in the final planting sites I have seen 'Dr. Huey' many times.

o

bboy,

Are there any other climbers that it could be, that maybe look like Dr. Huey? The flowers on my bush seem very similar to Dr. Huey.

o

Is there anything in particular that makes you think this is not Dr. Huey?

o

It does not particularly look like Dr Huey to me either. DH has dusky dark red flowers, these are too bright a red to my mind. And DH has a bright yellow center.

Does it get powdery mildew? Dr Huey always mildews it seems, no matter the climate. No mildew, probably not Dr. Huey.

o

I wouldn't assume its not 'Dr. Huey' based on the paler than average bloom color. In every other aspect, the plant looks like 'Dr. Huey' to me. Soil conditions, age of bloom, light/shade conditions all play a part in the intensity of the bloom color. I vote 'Dr. Huey'.

o

Does it only bloom 1x a year? If so it may be Paul's Scarlett Climber. It's description says 15-20 petals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here