Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stormy_weather

light pink rose bush

stormy_weather
13 years ago

Hello I just moved and there is a rose bush in the yard that I'm curious about the type of. There are thicker woody parts that have been cut off in the center so it's probably quite old. Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Comments (11)

• hartwood
    13 years ago

Can we have some close-ups to see the details, especially the buds and the parts of the plant that appear to be red and twisted? I ask because my initial inclination is that your rose may be New Dawn, and it appears to have Rose Rosette Disease ... but I can't be sure because I can't see it very well from your photos. There are many threads here on GW about Rose Rosette. The best info on the web is found in Ann Peck's ebook, available at the link below.

Connie

Here is a link that might be useful: RRD ebook

• stormy_weather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the information; that sounds like a scary disease. I hope these photos are ok.

• hartwood
    13 years ago

Looks like RRD to me. I've sent Ann a message to have her pop in here to offer her expert opinion.

Any chance that some sort of weed killer has been used in the vicinity of this rose recently?

Connie

• stormy_weather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

We've only been here 3 weeks, but haven't used any ourselves. The house was vacant 2 years prior to us moving in. The neighbors are right across a single lane alley and their rose is maybe 30 feet away, I can't see any redness on it from here, I don't know them yet or I'd ask about it.

• anntn6b
    13 years ago

The rose is either Dr. W. Van Fleet (if it doesn't repeat bloom) or New Dawn (if it repeat blooms).
    The problem is Rose Rosette Disease which is common on roses throughout West Virginia. New Dawn seems especially susceptible to RRD so I've seen many sick New Dawns and I'm sad to say that yours is typical. New Dawn just doesn't grow that way unless it's infected.

• stormy_weather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Does RRD effect any other types of plants? We have no other roses, but do I need to get rid of it anyway?

• hartwood
    13 years ago

RRD is a rose disease. Your other plants should be safe.

The reason we remove RRD infected roses is because the plant is a source of further infection for other roses. The mites that transmit the disease will feed on the infected plant, and they can go from rose to rose ... infecting each one they feed on.

Your rose won't get better, and it will continue to decline and look worse. It's best to get it out of there now.

Connie

• stormy_weather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for your advice. I think I will remove it asap.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

For more on this topic...

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Rosette Disease - Virginia Cooperative Extension

• stormy_weather
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Can someone give me advice on how to remove it? I cut it down but it is sprouting back up. It seems to be too big to just dig up though. Do I need something that will hack up the larger parts of it, and what might that be?

• hartwood
    13 years ago

You can do what I did with a rose last year. I cut it to the ground, and I sprayed the stump with Round-up. If it sprouts back, spray it again as soon as you can. This will kill it and you won't have to dig it out.

Connie