Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
takate1

ID Very Fragrant Red that turns pink in heat

takate1
11 years ago

Haven't figured out how to post all the pix in one posting, so sorry this is all I can show at this point.

This beauty has traveled around yards in Portland, OR, made the trip down to southern OR and was moved again. I haven't seen it over 5 to 5 1/2 feet, but all the traveling could keep it from attaining its true height. So far I haven't been able to propagate like DE and Westerland. Never seen bs on it either. Any ideas what this fragrant doll is? Thanks

Comments (8)

• takate1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's another pix of this rose on bush.

• seil zone 6b MI
    11 years ago

Maybe Crimson Bouquet but that's just a guess.

• takate1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. To me, this is fragrant and Helpmefind Crimson Bouquet description says it's slight...my sensitive nose on overtime again. Here's one more of the whole bush.

Have never had powdery mildew in Oregon like I had in Florida, but this shows signs. I hope it doesn't get too far a hold.

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Hello! So, Is this a found rose? Or Do you have any idea when it was first planted. (purchased, not rustled) If you know if it's 10, 30 or 50 years old originally, that can help narrow it down.
    Also, do you have any pictures representing a just (as in time) completely opened bud? Is it the photo with the hand? Does the rose ever have a hybrid tea (florist rose) high centered bloom shape? What is it typically like in good weather?
    For example, My oklahoma, which is darker than your rose, has flowers that vary a great deal. Globular, HT, old fashioned- but generally it leans toward HT.

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Hello! So, Is this a found rose? Or Do you have any idea when it was first planted. (purchased, not rustled) If you know if it's 10, 30 or 50 years old originally, that can help narrow it down.
    Also, do you have any pictures representing a just (as in time) completely opened bud? Is it the photo with the hand? Does the rose ever have a hybrid tea (florist rose) high centered bloom shape? What is it typically like in good weather?
    For example, My oklahoma, which is darker than your rose, has flowers that vary a great deal. Globular, HT, old fashioned- but generally it leans toward HT.

• takate1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Lola lemon,

It was growing in a friend's apartment's yard, so I know it to be at least 20 years old. The flower I'm holding is completely open. They don't ride high on the plant if that's what you mean.

It is in good flower today and very hot (100 tomorrow), so will take another pic tomorrow. It blooms throughout the summer in big flushes.

I've tried two Oklahomas which I just love, but lost both to two very cold winters. The tag said zone 7 and they were in a 6b those winters. More tomorrow.

• lola-lemon
    11 years ago

Looking forward to more pics. You know, I think it might be crimson glory (which, i think is what Seil meant to suggest. ). It's a parent of oklahoma and is considred fairly cold tolerant, for an HT. It gets mildewy- which yours is in the pic (pretty common problem with many roses and not a big deal, btw).

High centered bloom is the shape of the flower. It's the shape most people think of for a rose. The center of your rose in the pic is rather cupped.

Bummer you lost 2 oklahoma. Most hybrid tea roses are classed for zone 7. This is the zone which all the stems should survive the winter without freeze damage. They generally will still survive in zone 6b. Even 5b. Every climate is different tho- and perhaps Oklahoma is finicky about where you are?
    Lola

• mshermer
    11 years ago

Definitely not Crimson Bouquet.
    The second picture looks like Mr. Lincoln to me.