Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me ID this rose

Posted by flyingcross 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 17:28

Hello everyone. Let me start off by saying I know next to nothing about roses, although I have been on this site looking around a few times trying to learn more.

When we moved into our house it had been vacant for 5 years, we have been here 3 years and there is a tiny little rose bush by the back door. I thought it was a lost cause so I never watered it. So other then the couple of inches of rain every year, it hasn't been water or tended to in 8 years. It did always keep some leaves on it so I always mowed around it for some reason. Last year my husband stomped all over it working on the house, but it came back this year. We have gotten more rain this year then we have the last 5 years put together, so it went crazy. Every morning my dog pees on it. My son's puppy decided to "prune" it for me and then I really thought it was going to croak on me. Instead it started blooming.

So since my neglect and the dogs haven't killed it yet, I guess I should try to figure out what it is... and try to learn how to take care of it... and how exactly to move it out of the danger zone of the back yard. This little thing really wants to live haha.

The flowers are about the size of a quarter, and before the puppy mauled it... it was about 2 foot tall but sort of leggy if that makes sense. More like an octopus instead of a bush. (I don't know if that matters)

Thanks for looking, and any tips would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me ID this rose

That's a pretty flower- do you have any thoughts about how old the plant might be? Do you think it was part of the house's original landscaping?

I do recommend that you cross-post your request to the Roses forum, since you're likely to get good advice about how best to move the rose out of the Danger Zone. Even without knowing what variety you've got, most roses like a sunny spot with good drainage. I wonder how large it might get if you move it to a better spot?

You might also get an ID over at the Rose Forum since there seems to be more traffic there, but you'll probably want to post a few close-up photos of the flower, stems prickles, buds, whatever you think may help with the ID.

And if you can give some info about where in Zone 6 the rose is, that may also help.

Good luck,
Virginia

o

Thanks. It has to be at least 8 years old. The woman that lived here before us had a pretty little yard going, but only the plants that could handle a horrible drought on their own survived.

o

We think this may be Cornelia. Is it fragrant? Does it start out pink or buff colored and turn white? Cornelia throws gangly canes. She will get big if you care for her. If your dog has urinated on it, I might move it next spring to another spot. If you do not move the rose, the dog will continue to urinate on it. Move it to a location where he/she has not urinated. If this rose is Cornelia, it can get big. I did not notice whether or not you said exactly where you live, but the size of a hybrid musk (Cornelia) depends to some degree on climate. Water, care for it, give it some natural fertilizer before September and move it next spring once it blooms. EG/P43

o

I think it could possibly be a Blush Noisette, but it doesn't look quite the same. I have one that went through a similar situation and is now doing fine. Does it smell?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here