Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elmwood Cemetery 'Bourbon'

Posted by radwmack z5bIL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 05 at 17:31

I posted this on the AR Gallery earlier this spring. I'm still trying to get a closer ID for it. To the best of my knowledge, it's a once-bloomer. I've started one for myself, so I'll be able to tell if that changes with better care. It has a strong scent, very close to that of MIP. Right now the mother plant is getting a little blackspot.

The sepals are only slightly foliate and the stipules are smooth.

Bloom
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Whole bush
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The monument is about 10' tall, so I'd say the bush is around 4-1/2'. Someone must give it a good pruning each year, 'cause I never see any canes that have died back.

Anyone have a guess? I've seen quite a few of these in Cent. IL.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elmwood Cemetery 'Bourbon'

Okay, duh! I apparently don't know the difference b/w a whole bush and a bloom ;D

o

• Posted by LizzieA z9 CA Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 6, 05 at 18:25

If it's a once bloomer (and better care won't change that) could it possibly be a gallica or damask? They are very fragrant roses. Try a HMF advanced search for those types.

o

I understand that you can't make a once-bloomer repeat with care, I just meant that maybe it only puts out one flush because it gets no care.
The leaves and canes don't look anything like the Gallicas or Damasks I have (37) and the fragrance is a lot like those of my Bourbons (9). Up here anyway, many Bourbons only bloom once, or may put out a few blooms in the autumn after a big spring flush. For example, VdB puts out a huge spring flush, but no repeat at all.

However, I'm not saying that this certainly could not be a complex mix of any or all three.

I'm getting new growth on the cutting that I started from this one, so hopefully soon, I'll be able to get some detailed photos of the canes, stipules, etc. It's too bad we can't send fragrance over the net :)~ That would be a big help in trying to ID these older varieties!
Thanks!
Wendy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here