Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oakwood Cemetery finally ID'd!

Posted by radwmack z5bIL (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 05 at 17:37

I posted this one early in the spring, as well. I think I have an ID for it...Russelliana.

Here's the shots:

Bud
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Bloom

Whole bush

I guess what was throwing me off was that it was a large bush, rather than a rambling monster. What I didn't take into account was that the plant is growing at the base of a HUGE old Oak. Almost full shade and root competition (as well as being surrounded with "ditch lilies"), has surely made the difference.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oakwood Cemetery finally ID'd!

Congrats on your ID! I know the sense of relief you get when you finally can put a name to one of your foundlings.

o

Thanks, Cecilia! Yes, it is a big relief, but there's always that hope that it might be something rare. I'd love to be able to "save" something from becoming extinct! I guess, in a way, that's what we're doing (in the long run).
Cheers!

o

Yeah, I know THAT feeling, too - my foundlings always turn out to be fairly common roses:

"McKaig Road Pink" = Shailer's Provence
"Old Route 70" = Dorothy Perkins
"Ijamsville" = Excelsa
"Wendy's Rose" = Dr. Van Fleet

etc. etc.

o

I'm glad you found the identity of your rose. Who cares if it's common? It's a survivor.

o

Oh don't get me wrong! I'm very happy to find an old rose that is big and healthy despite years of neglect. Like the old saying, "They just don't make 'em like they used to!"

Besides, maybe by finding some of these oldies we can find healthier clones or maybe clean clones of some that are mostly virused in commerce.

Cecilia, I love the study name for your Excelsa!

o

radmack, Ijamsville is the name of the town in Frederick County, MD that my SIL and I rustled it from. If I remember correctly, it was growing on a fence by the side of a two-lane highway - probably where a farmhouse used to be.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here