Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
this baby is a survivor, what is its name?

Posted by MDK3000 z6 WestchstrNY (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 9, 05 at 18:58

I moved in to a house with a very neglected yard. Pushing its way through a choking mass of ferns is this lone little rose. What is it? If it can survive there it can survive anywhere and I'd like to plant more.

Image link: this baby is a survivor, what is its name? (40 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: this baby is a survivor, what is its name?

You're makin' it really tough on us Rose_ID helpers, giving us nothing to go on but a photo - and the bloom is at such an advanced age.

Read the Rose-ID Forum's FAQ, willya? : ) Or how about at least checking a post titled "A helpful suggestion if you're new here" (by Northspruce). That post is on the main Rose-ID Forum page (where yours is).

Without any Rose-Characteristics info at all from you, and just that photo, I can only make the wild guess that the rose *might* be either Brigadoon or Folklore.

Regards,
JohnReb

o

• Posted by MDK3000 z6 WestchstrNY (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 13:58

So sorry. I was lulled into complacency by the title of the thread and misunderstood the complexity of the problem. Didn't mean to upset anybody. After studying the FAQ I will be sure to be better prepared if I ever ask another question.

o

I wasn't upset. Here's the problem. Somebody walks into a police station and says "I'd like to report a missing person. The person is male and has brown hair. Please find him for me."

What will the detectives say in reply to that request?

My two wild-guess names for your mystery-rose were based on what your photo showed about the bloom's form and its petals. There is a third rose whose bloom-colors look like yours. It's name is VooDoo. But I know your rose isn't VooDoo because its petals aren't shaped like VooDoo's.

Identifying a mystery-rose is almost always "a process of eliminiation." Knowing certain identity-characteristics is what allows us to elimate roses which "look like" the mystery rose - but aren't it. Just like I did with your rose and VooDoo. That's why this forum's "rose-ID detectives" NEED to be given as many identity-clues as possible ...clues like the rose's Leaf-color and Glossiness (or lack of it), petal-count, comparative Fragrance-strength, etc, etc, etc.

Regards,
JohnReb

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 10, 05 at 17:01

A big part of the problem is that modern bedding roses (hybrid teas, floribundas etc.) such as this one tend to be homogenous, looking alike except for color. Old European roses can also be very similar to one another. In both instances there are (or were) a great number of cultivars selected that fall within narrow parameters, in the first instance deliberately, with hybridizers aiming for certain characters that epitomize the group(s), the second (in part) because of there long being a comparatively limited amount of genetic material to work with (until new species were introduced from Asia).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here