Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of rose bush, what's eating it, and how do I save it?

Posted by sprchik Michigan (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 19:40

I bought a house about a month ago, and now have this lovely climbing (I assume, since they put wire stuff here for it to climb?) rose bush.

I've never grown roses before. No idea what kind it is. Has not bloomed yet, but it is getting eaten up pretty badly, so perhaps the buds are being devoured.

What is it, what's eating it, and what do I do to help it?

The newer leaves seem to have a red tinge to them.

If you need any other pictures of specific areas to help identification, let me know and I'll go take them.

This is in Lansing, Michigan.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of rose bush, what's eating it, and how do I save i

• Posted by seil z6b MI (My Page) on
    Sat, Jul 12, 14 at 15:18

Has it bloomed this year? Without seeing a photo of the buds and blooms there's no way to ID it. The holes are caused by rose slugs. A small green worm on the undersides of the leaves. They are the larvae of the sawfly. Look for an insecticide that will kill them. New growth on roses is often red. That's normal so don't worry about it. Otherwise the rose looks pretty healthy!

o

I have not witnessed any blooms on it in the month I've been here, nor any time I visited the property (March and early April) before closing in mid-June.

I will get some insecticide for rose slugs/sawfly larvae, thank you! Hopefully then I'll get some un-eaten buds and then blooms to help with identification. I've been dying to find out what color flowers it will have.

o

• Posted by AquaEyes 7 New Brunswick, NJ (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 17:14

There are two culprits here -- 1) yes, sawfly larvae (aka rose slugs) are chewing the leaves, and will continue to munch them down until they leave the bare mid-vein, and 2) the round holes at the edges, looking like they were made with a hole-puncher, were done by leaf-cutter bees -- they don't eat the leaves, and tend to have just one period of activity when they cut foliage to line their nests.

:-)

~Christopher

o

Carpenter bees. They will probably go away as soon as the weather changes. Your rose is probably a once bloomer. Have you fed it yet? Don't cut it back until after bloom season next year. Until it blooms, identification is next to impossible. Make sure the ground is cleaned up underneath or you are attracting more problems. emmie/patricia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here