Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Last Unknown - a red rose

Posted by northspruce z2b MB CDA (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 5, 05 at 20:29

This is the last rose that came with the house, as I just realized I have not one but two Montezumas. Hee hee.

It is not doing well this year and seems stunted by the cool rainy weather, as well as being chewed, please excuse the holes but I don't spray.

It's medium true red, not orangey or pinky. The petals are ruffly and have a point in the middle of each, which I have never noticed in any other rose. The bloom opens cupped with stamens showing but I wouldn't call it semi-double, it has quite a few petals. Blooms are usually borne in clusters but these are the first few and seem to be one or two per stem. This first pic is true to color.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

On this one the color is off but you can see the bud behind better and its form opened one more day...

The plant like I said is small this year and not doing so great but here it is...

The thorns are small and sharp and reddish.

It was planted sometime between 1950 and 1985, probably in the 1970's.

I realize there's not much unique about this rose but hopefully someone has an idea. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Last Unknown - a red rose

Perhaps it is 'Candy Apple'?

http://www.regannursery.com/roses/detail.lasso?ID=710

http://www.daylilyhill.com/subsublevel.php?id=148&lid=15

Here is a link that might be useful: Candy Apple at HelpMeFind

o

I don't think that's it, it has small flowers and absolutely no scent at all. I think it's lighter red than Candy Apple from what I can see. It's kinda gone orangey over a couple of days. Bloom is not very high centered and petals are distinctly ruffly.

When the petals open out (see bottom), they have a tiny area of yellow at the base. The bloom I counted had 17 petals but I think somewhat more than 20 is normal.

Small yellow areas at base of petals can be seen if you look closely...

Thanks for the suggestion.

o

Further research suggests it might be a match for Dorothy Wheatcroft... HMF has no pics but I found one in an online catalogue (see link).

Not sure if this was ever a popular rose though... does anyone have it?

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic of D. Wheatcroft

o
Darn it

That link didn't go to the rose pic - it's in the A-Z listing at the right hand side anyway. Sorry.

o

I found its lookalike on a Rose Gallery post - I'm pretty sure it's the Floribunda "Impatient".

Subsequent blooms have been more orange than red and everything else matches. My pics weren't very good - oh well.

o

No, it's definately not Impatient, which is the orangest orange rose I've ever grown. Impatient is much much more orange in coloration, even in the cool weather. Traffic cone, eye hurting, sunglasses orange.

I still think it looks like Prominent, or maybe Marina.

o

It's so confusing, it keeps changing colors! The first blooms were very red but the new ones are more salmony, almost like my Montezumas. The pics on HMF for Marina and Prominent look too orange, and the form's not quite the same. Strangely, the pics of M. and P. on helpmefind look way more orange than the pics there of Impatient!

Prominent is supposed to be Grandiflora and these flowers are quite small, maybe max. 3". Open a round, flat shape with wavy petals. Also, Marina is supposed to be fragrant and this rose certainly is not. It has a barely detected spicy fragrance when warm but almost nothing.

Hollysprings I value your opinion very much. I know my pictures weren't the best. Is there a Floribunda that looks like Impatient but is more red?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here