Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northspruce

A Helpful Suggestion if You're New...

northspruce
18 years ago

People who are new to the Rose ID forum are advised to read the FAQ quickly before posting.

It's especially important to describe (and take pics if possible) of bud, bloom, foliage, thorns, overall plant habit and any unusual features. Approximate year of planting if you know helps too.

There are few roses that can be positively IDed from a picture of a single bloom.

Hope this helps, happy roseing...

Comments (11)

• Ron_B
    18 years ago

Amen. There are THOUSANDS of kinds of roses, some of them not particularly distinctive.

• northspruce
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh and scent helps too, how strong and of what (i.e. BUMP)

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Thanks for posting this thread, Northspruce. : )
    I might comment on it every few days, if you know what I mean. ;-)
    Regards,
    JohnReb

• rose_nut
    15 years ago

Okay, appreciate the advice. Haven't read FAQ yet, but does it give info about how to get photos down to 61k???? That is the message I keep getting when trying to post my rose pics and I used my oldest cheapest camera when I made these.
    Would appreciate any help!
    THANKS

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

please click the box to enable an email when someone replies. - when you are making the post, you will see Check here if you would like copies of follow-ups to your message emailed to you. click on the box. This forum gets slow at times; it's helpful to get the email replies so that you know your post has been answered.

If you want to add a link - type out your message, then hit preview message - on the preview it will give you the link box.

To upload an image directly to the post on the preview it will say Image file to upload (optional): upload the file from your computer.

Photo sharing site It's helpful to also sign up for a free picasa photo account. When you make the album; add as much information as you can. Also make the album public so that people can see & comment.

if you have a gmail account you automatically have a Picasa account.

Open the album you want to link to - on the right hand side, you will see Photos by
    your user name

date
    photos:
    listed

Link to this album - click on this then you'll see
    Paste link in email or IM
    and
    Paste HTML to embed in website

You want the link that starts like this:
    >table style="width:194px;tr

Here is a link that might be useful: free picasa photo account

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Moving on up...

• azmountains_gardener
    13 years ago

I check the box to receive an email for new replies every time I post, but I've never gotten an email yet (and yes, people have replied to my posts). Is there something that could be preventing me from receiving them? I've already adjusted my spam filter.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Check your user profile here; make sure all of your information is correct

• diane_nj 6b/7a
    13 years ago

Receiving replies by e-mail has always been flaky and unreliable. I wouldn't count on it, even if you have everything set up correctly.

• azmountains_gardener
    13 years ago

I've checked all of my profile information and everything is correct, but I continue to not get any emails.

• reg_pnw7
    13 years ago

You'll need to use photo editing software to reduce file sizes. Any camera is going to take photos larger than 60K. Windows Vista and Mac OS X have built in basic photo editing software you can use to compress a photo.