Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Red Rose

Posted by chargreen TX/Aus/SM (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 05 at 21:20

This is a two year old rose from a cutting I took from my grandparents abandoned homesite. It bloomed once so far in June but it is in a bed that gets only morning sun. The canes were about 4 to 6 foot long and growing tangled in other brambles in full shade. I don't think it is a climber. The rose never grew up into the nearby tree. I don't know how old it is but we have pictures of a rose in that area in the 50's. This rose has been growing without any care for at least the last 20 years. Does it look familiar to anyone?
Thanks
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Closeup of rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Red Rose

Your photos are clear and helpful.

I can't be sure, but the close-up reminds me of 'Sarabande' which was introduced in the late '50s -- link to information below (click on Photos tab for more pictures):

Here is a link that might be useful: Sarabande

o

I agree that Sarabande would be a good guess but the info says it only grows to 20" and is orange red.
Some more info on my rose that might help.
My grandparents were not gardeners so the rose had to be a gift or widely available before at least 1970. It was originally growing beside the driveway with an old steel wagon wheel for support. It had long canes coming from the ground. When I took cuttings I tried to find the plant at the base of the canes but it seems to have been overtaken by a hackberry tree. I am thinking that the color in the picture may be misleading because we remember the rose as a lighter color. It may be like my Maggie rose in that the color varies with the temperature and sunlight available. I may have to wait until I move it to a sunnier spot and watch it's blooms and growth habits for awhile.

o

I found this description and picture of the Blaze rose. The closeup looks very similiar to my rose if you adjust the color. My rose was totally abandoned for many years maybe if it was growing in the sun and taken care of it might have started out as a Blaze rose.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blaze Rose

o

My guess would've been Blaze, but usually someone mentions if they think it's a climber. Your 2nd post confirms, "... long canes coming from the ground." That clinches it for me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here