Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rose Identification

Posted by garybeau z6 CT (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 3, 06 at 21:54

I need some help identifying this rose. I took a cutting from a plant that was on a vacant lot up the street from me. There use to be a farm house there about 50-60 years ago and this rose bush was nestled up against a maple tree that looks to be at least 150 years old. I'm not sure exactly how old this rose is, but it must be pretty hardy to have survived all these years without any care. The rose grew 8' canes the first year and went into bloom the second year (this year) at the end of June. My first guess was that it might be a Cecile Brunner, but after looking at a lot of pictures, this rose looks a little darker pink and the mature flower looks more open. It has a mild fragrance and the flowers are about 1-1/2 inches across.
Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Gary

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose photos

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rose Identification

Doesn't look like Cecile Bruner. What about Super Dorothy?

o

Thats good ol' 'Dorothy Perkins'.

o

Thanks "trospero",
Dorothy Perkins does seem to be a close match. One of the clinchers is the lower branches on mine have mildew on the hips as you can see in some of the pictures. I thought it was due to the wet June that we had here in CT, but it seems to be a trait of Dorothy Perkins. The only nagging question I have is mine seem to open flat showing the yellow center of the rose while most of the pictures I looked at all show a more closed look. Are both normal for this rose?
Thanks again,
Gary

o

are the little flower stems smooth or do they have
tiny reddish 'hairs'? (DPs are smooth)
what color are the new shoots?
Also, the foliage looks more blunt than DPs.
I have a rambler exactly like yours that we have
been unable to ID so far.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

alida

o

I doubt that it's 'Dorothy Perkins'. The foliage & flower form are rather different IMO. And 'DP' is non-fragrant except for about a half hour after opening.

o

Might the one you can't i.d. in that last photo be The Fairy?

Here is a link that might be useful: The Fairy

o

The Fairy wouldn't throw out 8' canes. The photo in the middle does look like Dorothy Perkins. Can't be much more help than that because I have not seen DP up close for years -- I just see it and Excelsa blooming all along the roadsides every spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here