Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pretty sure this Fragrant Memory but looks strange.

Posted by AptosCA US9/Sunset15 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 19, 05 at 22:53

I transplanted this rose a year and half ago and it did absolutely nothing for that whole time. I mean nothing, no leaves or blooms. I kept watering and fertilizing it along with the rest hoping it would come back.
It has finally put out some flowers but they don't look like what I remembered Fragrant Memory looking like. It still has the tag attached to it saying it is that rose. Could it have mutated in that time or is this a sport?
Thanks.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pretty sure this Fragrant Memory but looks strange.

What does it look like? Is the picture your current rose or the way it bloomed before? The fact that it has the tag attached means almost nothing since misnamed roses happen all the time.

o

This is what it currently looks like. Before it died back it was the same color but rolled over petals not the ruffled edges that it has now.

o

It looks like the same rose to me-but I'm not an expert. However, in my opinion, sometimes a rose will put out a not-quite mature bloom when it is still struggling to grow. For example, my new Ambassador came with a bloom containing only 5 single petals-very unlike a regular bloom-but since the color was true to an Ambassador, I am fairly confident the rose was not mis-labeled. I figure the rose was trying its best to even bloom, and it just couldn't muster the energy to put out a full bloom at that time. I have found this to be the case with most of my new roses-the first few blooms were not "true" to form. Because of the transplanting, your rose may be doing the same-perhaps because it doesn't like its current situation. But that's just my opinion. Hope it helps.

bren

o

Bren - that makes sense. Don't know why I didn't think of that. It has taken it a 1 1/2 years to put out a bloom so must still be recovering. Thanks for the insight.

o

Matte yellow-green young foliage and straight thorns of FM are distinctive, if you're getting those. It's a fine rose in my climate.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here