Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniferinfl

Possible R. gigantea?

jenniferinfl
11 years ago

I've never known the name of this rose, thought I would post a photo of it and hopefully someone would know what it is.

I thought it was a fortuniana, but, apparently the photo I saw was mislabeled because no other photos have looked like it. It's a large climber, probably down 20 feet of fencing and extends about 4 feet on either side. Well, depending on whether or not my Dad has used his weed whacker pruning method for it this year.

Sorry for the not so clear photo, it's almost a ten year old photo, but it was the only one I had of the monster in bloom. Part of a hand in the photo as it was the only way to get a photo that wasn't completely washed out with my old digital camera.

Comments (4)

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Look up Mermaid on Help Me Find/Roses and let us know what you think -

Jackie

• jenniferinfl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Similar style flower, but I know the one at my dad's doesn't bloom in clusters, just one rose on a small branch, not a cluster.

The other difference is that the one at my Dad's place has a large flush of blooms that lasts a couple weeks and then pretty much nothing the rest of the year. I think mermaid blooms more than that, but I may be mistaken.

• jacqueline9CA
    11 years ago

Then you may be correct - it might be r. gigantea, which is once blooming. If you post your picture and request for an ID on the Antiques/OGR forum on GW, you will immediately get more knowledgeable folks helping you ID it. This is the correct place for IDs of roses in theory, but in practice the Antique/ORG rose forum gets WAY more traffic, and lots of folks who go there love to try and ID roses.

Jackie

• garden2garden
    11 years ago

Hi Jennifer.
    Does it have wicked thorns?
    If so, check out R. laevigata, the Cherokee Rose.
    Donna