Return to the Name That Rose Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Found this purple rose picture on the internet

Posted by jenn1514 fl (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 23:26

I found this purple rose picture on the internet and was curious if it was actually a real rose(not one photoshopped) and what it was called. I can't upload the image but here is the address http://www.dkimages.com/discover/DKIMAGES/Discover/Home/Plants/Ornamental-Groups/Shrubs/Rosales/Rosaceae/Rosa/Modern-Roses/Large-flowered-Bush/Rosa-Alecs-Red/index.html. The site called it an Alec's Red but it is definitely not red. I looked at the hmf website and it did not look anything like the name. I would love to know the name so I can go about purchasing it somewhere. I love how it is such a deep purple. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Found this purple rose picture on the internet

Someone has used photo software like photoshop to make a red rose look purple. Alec's Red is red.

There are many purple and lavender roses in commerce, but it would be best to get in touch with someone at your local rose society (Florida?) to recommend ones that would do well in your climate.

I'll put a link to a page for your area, and if you scroll down to Florida you will see 18 rose societies listed. You could just e-mail or phone a local contact for advice.

Here is a link that might be useful: Deep South District rose societies

o

That photo has been manipulated to look purple. 'Alec's Red' is red, not purple at all. Try hunting down either 'Midnight Blue' or 'Ebb Tide' if you want beautiful purples.

o

I think they got their photos mixed up. Their photo of Big Purple is red. I bet their photo for Alec's Red is really Big Purple and vice versa.

o

Except that Stephens' Big Purple usually isn't all that purple either...

Here is a link that might be useful: Stephens' Big Purple at HelpMeFind.com

o

Here is one of the photos of Big Purple from HMF. I think it looks very much like the photo from the link for Alec's Red.

http://www.helpmefind.com/plant/pics.php?l=2.5968.1&nr=-79654

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Name That Rose Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here