Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dtdiva

Please Help IDENTIFY these two

dtdiva
18 years ago

I posted these pictures on the rose forum,,,did not realize there is this ID forum,,,,

this pink is definitely not New Dawn, it has a lovely fragrance, the blooms last a long time, and it behaves like a climber...very shiny leaves, one bloom on a stem, very velvety petals with substance

and this one is also fragrant, it blooms in 3-4 clusters, shiny leaves, the shrub is about 2.5 feet high, and the blooms ball in wet weather, very delicate petals

Comments (4)

• rosetom
    18 years ago

Well, I guessed Bride's Dream or Royal Highness for the bottom one before, but that's probably not it. 2.5 feet and clusters implies a floribunda. Bride's Dream is not fragrant and the only time it's 2.5 feet is after it's pruned. I believe Royal Highness is the same except that it has strong fragrance.

Sounds like you may be looking for a light pink, fragrant Floribunda on the bottom one.

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Dtdiva, the first rose might be New Zealand.
    I found your other post in the Rose Discussion forum.
    New Zealand is not a Climber, but your photos matches the New Zealand blooms in my yard.

New Zealand's leaves are glossy, matching your rose.
    Your mystery rose's scent-level doesn't match New Zealand's (which is "strong"). But scent-level can vary.

Compare your photo with the New Zealand photos at HelpMeFind dotcom, at
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?i=A4469&tab=10
    (or use the Link at the end of this post.)

I'm just suggesting New Zealand as a POSSIBLE identity, because your photo looks exactly like New Zealand. It might not be, but I thought you'd want to check the possibility.

Regards,
    JohnReb

Here is a link that might be useful: New Zealand photos at HelpMeFind

• rosetom
    18 years ago

JohnReb,
    I agree that the first rose may be New Zealand. After re-reading the description, I think you're right. New Zealand (I have one, too, btw.) has very shiny leaves. Also, the flower has a unique substance and finish for a coral-tinged pink. I liken it to a metal sheen. Finally, it will also send up pretty long basals, some of which can be somewhat floppy - at least mine still are after about 4 years. Like most HT's, though - those canes are fairly tall - 6 ft or more, which may be mistaken for Climbing rose tendencies. The blooms on mine also waiver between quilling and cross-ways reflexing - or whatever you would call it - similar to the way the bloom in that photo appears. As said, I've had mine for 4 years, but have yet to detect a fragrance - despite universal praise of a honeysuckle scent (yuck!).

Good guess!

• johnreb_va7
    18 years ago

Thanks, Rosetom.

My yard's New Zealand is a new bush, ordered late and thus planted late this Spring, a kinda puny bare-root from Edmunds. Your report's info gives me a good idea what to expect as the bush matures. : )

By the way, since you mentioned scent... mine does have good strong scent ...usually.

Regards,
    JohnReb

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County